Part Forty Two

Chapter Forty Two

The next morning Mattie woke and snuck off to work leaving him in bed, Dylan had travelled back from New York the previous day, and he would need a decent sleep to catch up. She made it to the office by nine, and was as usual thrown in to the chaos that was the approaching weekend at a busy hotel and golf club. Daniel was panicking about the lack of preparation by a bride holding her wedding the following day, and she was involved in meetings with him and suppliers until lunchtime and she was glad to see Sarah approaching with a tray of sandwiches.

As they tucked into their lunch she glanced at her phone, and sighed, Dylan had messaged her when he woke at ten, she could tell he wasn’t happy waking without her, but she had to work he knew that. Now she had another few messages, telling her he wanted her with him in bed. She blushed as she read them.

                “You ok?”

She looked up at Sarah who was watching her knowingly and when she gave a subtle nod, her friend laughed, “you look like love’s young dream!”

Mattie could feel her face flush again, “it’s not...”

Sarah lifted a hand, silencing her, “it’s ok. You don’t have to tell me anything, and equally you don’t have to hide anything. But just please be happy?”

Mattie smiled at her, “I’m trying.”

Grinning Sarah finished her sandwich as the phone rang and Mattie apologised with her eyes as she got engrossed in a conversation with her father who’d been back in Thailand for a few weeks, and was happily telling her all about the new home he had there. As she talked, Sarah gave a wave and ducked out back to work. Mattie eventually hung up promising that she’d visit her father soon, and sighed, he finally sounded happy, her father had been in turmoil for years. Hopefully now he could enjoy his retirement, and she wouldn’t worry about him quite so much.  Sarah had left the room mid phone call, so when there was a knock at the door, she looked up with an apologetic smile.

                “Sorry about that.”

The door flung open and Dylan stood there looking perfect in a dark suit, “sorry about leaving me? Or sorry about not replying to my ‘come back to bed’ messages?”

As he stepped into the room grinning, he closed the door behind him.

She giggled, “no I was apologising to Sarah, I don’t owe you a sorry, you should be thanking me for letting you sleep in!”

As she spoke she was already coming around the desk and they met in the middle of the office, lips connecting in a furious, desperate kiss.

                “Ahhh.” He sighed as they finally broke apart. “How the hell am I going to work in the next door office knowing you’re here? All lovely and enticing...” His fingers traced her cheek, sliding her hair behind her ear, and she smiled at his intense study, she could never be intimidated by him.

                “Because you didn’t get to where you are by being easily distracted!”

He grinned, but it was a sad gesture, “I didn’t have you then...it was easier to be motivated.”

That puzzled her, running her thumb over his bottom lip tenderly, she sighed, “me being here shouldn’t make a difference. Go. I’ll cook you dinner tonight, we’ll have time together, ok?”

He nodded, “tagliatelle carbonara? No one makes it like you!”

Chuckling she nodded, it had always been his favourite, “anything you want.”