Part Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

Dylan knew the instant that Matilda’s heckles rose. Could he blame her? He wasn’t sure. He hadn’t realised that Louise was coming so quickly, and her appearance here was purely a paper exercise, he needed to combine his businesses, make them transparent with his others, he had other share holders, other interested parties, mainly picked up through business deals in the past, but he still had to answer to them. No one understood him taking on this hotel, and he needed Louise’s spin on the situation. She was the best that he had at manipulating situations.

Matilda conducted the rest of the meeting in a very professional manner, but he could feel animosity towards him at every glance. He wasn’t worried. He had sound reasons for the other woman being there, and Matilda understood business, that was one thing she knew well. But he should have warned her...though he hadn’t known she was coming over so quickly until a little earlier in all honesty.

The other managers gathered asked a few questions, relevant to the time and place they were at, then the meeting ended, rather more abruptly than it had done on other occasions. Dylan stayed after the others, gathering his things together.

                “Matilda, can we meet to discuss things...Louise will need your assistance whilst she’s here.”

Matilda glanced at her watch, then nodded, “I’m expecting an urgent call. But after that?”

He was a little annoyed at the brush off, but put it down to her being a little angry, so he nodded, “we’ll be with you in ten minutes, I’m just going to show Louise around.”

As she disappeared he turned to Louise as she asked, “what’s her problem?”

He laughed awkwardly, “you arrived before I had time to warn her. She’s probably a little put out, that’s all.”

Louise’s eyes widened, “Dylan Wallace is being dictated to by an employee? I NEVER thought I’d see the day!”

He groaned, “it’s not like that, she’s very good. I respect her decisions, her opinion.”

Louise looked as though she didn’t believe him, and he hated that, Instead he took her on the whistle-stop tour of the complex.

                “Are you sure you’re ok with me staying here?”

They’d arrived at the room he’d had reception staff dedicate to Louise. She’d be with them for a week, maybe two of three depending how it went, and whilst the city was far more interesting, a room on site made much more sense.

                “Its fine, you can stay as long as is necessary. I’ll give you a moment to settle in, then I’ll meet you to discuss things with Matilda. Ok?”

As Louise nodded he left the room.

Mattie had a dozen emails to try for names, people who would save their big weekend. She didn’t have much time to deal with things as it was. The plumbers were starting refitting the bathrooms upstairs, there was a conference in the golf club...this was a busy week. One of the busiest in ages.

She was on the phone to the supplier of industrial bed linen when she felt the door to her office open. Looking up she saw Louise stood there.

Mattie gestured at the phone, then gave an apologetic smile. The other woman gave a curt nod, then backed out of the room. Half an hour later Dylan poked his head in, “Louise wants to talk to all the staff about the changes that are about to happen in the boardroom. Can you join us?”