Part Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two

It was a long journey the next morning, firstly to Dylan’s apartment, then on to work after a quick shower and change. As was Dylan’s wishes it was after eleven when she finally got to the hotel, and she felt awful for abandoning everyone.

She hadn’t allowed herself to over think what had happened the previous night, but as soon as she stepped into the hotel her whole body started to tingle and she felt a little nauseous at the thought of seeing Dylan now that she’d allowed herself to wonder what it might be like to change things, to think of him as more than her ex husband. She was suddenly very nervous and wanted to run and hide away. Would he be able to tell that she had had a change of heart?

Hermione was at reception, and Mattie was relieved at the friendly face. Strolling up to her she smiled, “haven’t seen you in ages. How are things?”

Hermione smiled, “good. I’ve been in the Lake District for a week.”

                “So you had good weather?” When her friend and colleague nodded, she added, “lucky you. What’s happening today? I’m in late and I feel a bit on the back foot.”

                “Dylan is in meeting with a team from a satellite TV company. They’re in the board room. Sarah’s not in until tomorrow...Daniel is awaiting a final meet with the wedding party for Saturday. Everything else is running like clockwork.”

Mattie smiled, “I’m pleased to hear it. I’m going to check my emails and stuff, then I’ll go see what this satellite company have got to say. If anyone wants me I’m in my office.”

Drinking coffee, she didn’t add, but the thought of a drink made her relax a little. She wondered whether she was addicted to caffeine as she sometimes couldn’t seem to function without it.

She had fifty three emails. Some relevant, a couple urgent, but the rest could wait. Penning a rapid reply to the contractors working in the bedrooms, and another to the scaffolding company who were FINALLY pulling their finger out, she then set off in search of Dylan. The news that a satellite TV company was interested in showing the event was a huge coup, and she didn’t want to miss out on being part of the deal.

Outside the boardroom she could hear voices, pausing she straightened her dress, her favourite one, quite vivid streaks of lime green, brown and white. Taking a deep breath she first tapped then threw open the door.  There were four people in the room, Dylan - who just looking at him, made her heart beat overtime, a blond woman she recognised from sports TV and two older men.

When Dylan looked up, he gave her a wink, then held out an arm to introduce her, “here she is, gentleman,” he tipped his head at the blonde, “and lady of course,” the woman giggled as he turned back to Mattie, “this is Mat...” he paused for a moment, he’d never called her Mattie, told her he never would, but he took a little breath then said, “Mattie Davies, she’s the manager here, and this event is her brainchild.”

Her heart was gushing at that gesture, suddenly she knew that how she felt...it wasn’t a whim, she wanted more of this man, he was trying to be everything she had asked him to be. And that was such a powerful thing.

She shook hands with the planned director for the coverage, a financial manager, and of course the female, Charlotte. Mattie hated that she felt pangs of jealousy seeing the easy way that the other woman interacted with Dylan, she was more than flirting and that hurt. But Mattie was nothing if not professional, so she plastered on a smile.

Dylan stooped to whisper, “I think that went well,” as the meeting came to an end. “Very well. Debrief, my office ten mins?”