Part Eightteen

Chapter Eighteen

                “So my company are the new owners of this complex.”

As Dylan spoke to those gathered at the quickly rustled up meeting, Mattie’s eyes scanned the room of stunned faces. But he was nothing if not charming, and after the truce they’d called the previous evening, she could appreciate the positive side of Dylan Wallace finally.

                “Nothing will change, as far as I’m concerned. When I first came to the hotel it was to analyse it, to seek ways to improve it. I did that, and I really feel we have the makings of a first class, dare I say five star hotel? So once I’ve sat down and checked out the schedule with Matilda, then I will feedback to you what, and more importantly when things will be happening.” He smiled, pause in his pace of the room, and met the eyes of the staff head on, “I’ve always wanted to keep my business transparent. I don’t like subterfuge or secrets.” His eyes landed on her, Matilda felt herself blush. “So I will strive to keep all your teams, via yourselves informed, and am open to any questions. Please feel free to approach me.” He then gave a dazzling smile, “I will be at your monthly meeting without fail, though my business will take me back to the States quite a lot.” Again he smiled at her, “in my absence I have complicit trust in Matilda to run the place in my absence, and we’ll be in close contact, so any issues talk to her. Ok?”

The faces around the room all nodded, bewilderment still evident in their eyes, but no one looked disgruntled, Dylan had more than won them over.

As the managers filed out of her office, she looked up at him, “the Wallace charm works again!”

Dylan shrugged, she knew he was still raw about his mother the previous night, but she wasn’t about to remind him of that, or attack him. She was enjoying the security of her job being safe, about her new extended role in the hotel.

                “So are we going to discuss my job before you piss off back to New York?”

That shook him out of his reverie as he gave a nod. “We have a LOT to discuss.”

Two days later Mattie was genuinely sad to see Dylan leave for the US. They’d had two hugely productive days, now that they’d gotten over their anger, their animosity at the past, it wasn’t completely put to bed, but they were past hurting each other, resenting each other. The biggest plan he has was the refurbishment of the bedrooms, the only problem was that with the summer approaching they were at their peak of being busy. Matilda had assured him that if they worked on ten rooms at a time they could get by, as long as specific weekends there was no disruption as they were so busy. Mattie now had a week to speak to various contractors to take on that role. They needed the work done by their big celeb golf tournament in August. That was imperative.

There were other plans, involving all aspects of the hotel, but Dylan had given them a year to complete everything, a year before he wanted to be able to class themselves as five star. There were separate plans for the golf club and she’d set up meetings with herself and Dylan with Major Faulkner the rather obtuse President of the golf club committee, Fabio the manager of the club and gym, and also Tony Farmer, the club professional. It wasn’t a day Mattie was looking forward to with relish, but then at the moment she felt she could even deal with the cantankerous ex military man.

                “Lunch?”

She looked up from behind the computer to see Sarah leaning around the door, when she shrugged Sarah added, “I have barely spoken to you since I got back from Cyprus, be nice to catch up.”