Part Forty Nine

Chapter Forty Nine

A/N By popular demand two uploads in a day, think you'll all find this maybe a little anticlimatic, but Matilda is exhausted, fraught... 

                “Matilda, you ok?” Paul asked quietly from behind.

Mattie could feel the tension in her shoulders. Dylan looked angry, though he had no right to be. As usual his attitude angered her, stood there all aggrieved and as usual the hurt one, but despite that, a large part of her was drinking in the sight of him, there in the hotel. He was the last person she truly expected to see in her hotel, and she had no idea how he’d found her. Then her mind flitted back to the last time she’d seen him, she couldn’t help but remember how he’d spoken to her - so maliciously, so harshly. He had hurt her, and there was no sign that he was feeling any different now as he glowered at her, poor Dylan, always the one to have an agenda, an opinion, always the one with the upper hand. But he did look amazing in a suit, all suits, and this was a brave choice of clothing considering the weather, but then Dylan could carry off anything. He didn’t even look ruffled. Though he looked upset.

She sighed, that was the enigma that was Dylan Wallace, with one look he could turn into a ball of blazing fury, yet another gesture or glance could turn her into an emotional fuzz ball, all doe-eyed and devoted, because no matter what he did, what he said, she loved him, and he was a long way from changing that, even though he’d brought her to her knees SO many times. All that had happened five years ago hadn’t changed how she felt underneath, and there was no sign that she felt different now after this latest debacle. But she was a stronger person, this last few months she’d risen like a phoenix from the flames, she was determined that she’d not let him get away with anything. She didn’t even know if they could talk civilly, let alone anything else. But she had to try. He had come.

That didn’t mean she was about to let him get away with his recent behaviour, the way he’d treated her. But he had come. He hadn’t come to shout, to chastise her, of that she was sure, it wouldn’t make sense. But what exactly he wanted, she wasn’t sure. If he offered her an apology there and then, what would she say? She was no push over, she wasn’t about to let him make demands of her.  She’d lived with so much guilt for SO long. No more.

Turning to Paul, she’d almost forgotten he was there, “I’ll be fine. Thanks for caring though, and thanks for tonight.”

He looked between her and the still snarling Dylan and shook his head, “I’ll leave you here, but I’m not sure that’s the best thing. You thought I was the risk!”

She gave a small laugh, “he won’t hurt me...not physically anyway. I’ll be fine.”

Paul gave a nod, then turned, reluctantly leaving her to her fate.

Taking a deep breath and stretching to her full height, she started what felt like a death walk towards him.

Dylan hated the swath of emotions that were currently battling for supremacy in his brain. He was exhausted, and it was clouding his judgement, he knew that much. He’d left London in the evening...was that yesterday? The flight from London had taken eleven hours, then there was the time change...and he’d missed his connection, so he’d not hit this resort until early evening, to be told that Matilda’s room was empty.

He’d not checked into his room, he had to see her first, the thought of a shower, a sleep...he doubted he’d see outside his suite for a whole twenty four hours if he succumbed to that luxury now, he was THAT shattered. So he’d sat in the reception, or rather perched on a stool at the bar nearest there, thinking that he’d fall asleep if he relaxed in to a chair.