Part Fifty Five

Chapter Fifty Five

When they boarded a plane north to her father five days later they were no longer the high powered business couple from London, her in her bright fabrics, sun burnt nose, he with his tan and shorts...they were happy holiday makers, and a couple in love.

But as they disembarked in Chiang Mai, Dylan could sense the tension in Matilda.           

“It’s fine, you’ll see.” He took her hand and squeezed her fingers. “This is the worst thing we’ll ever have to deal with, ok?”

She wished she could share his optimism, but she didn’t. But then her father was stood in front of her beaming, the worry lines that had seemed to occupy his face gone for the moment.

                “Matilda.” As he pulled her into his arms, his lips found her forehead and he kissed her there, “I never thought I’d see you here, in Thailand. You look so well!” He held her at arms’ length for a moment, then his eyes flitted to behind her. She waited for the animosity, the anger but there was none. Instead he grinned.

Turning she saw Dylan smile and offer a handshake, but Jimmy Davies was having none of that, instead, he grinned then pulled his ex son in law into a bear hug, “I should want to kill you, but I haven’t seen her look so well since you left. You’re good for her...”

Dylan sighed, “I promised you Jimmy, I won’t hurt her again.”

Her father nodded, “good, I’ll take you at your word...or else.” But there was humour in his eyes as holding Matilda’s hand in a way he hadn’t since she was a kid he led her out into the hot humid day in the mountainous City.

A taxi waited, and as they piled in, her father sat proudly pointing out the sights as they meandered through the busy streets.

Dylan had booked them into a high end chain hotel, it was, her father told her, about fifteen minutes from his house. And the plan was that they’d have dinner together in the hotel once they’d settled in, the following day, her father was planning to barbeque for them both, as well as her brother Gareth and Suni his partner. It was a more laid back and low key opportunity for her to see the house, where her father was going to spend most of his life, and her brother and Dylan to meet face to face.

                “I’ll wait in the bar.” Her father announced as they entered the hotel reception. “I’ll reserve a table for an hour’s time?”

She nodded, “brilliant. We’ll just dump our bags...”

Smiling he gave her a kiss on the cheek, “I’m on the case, the food here is amazing. Take as long as you need. I’m in no rush.”

The room they had was amazing, luxurious and huge; the view was across the city. She stood staring out when she felt Dylan approach and stand behind her, arms encircling her.

                “You ok?” His chin rested on the top of her head and he took in the same view as her.

She sighed, “yes. Just seems a little surreal on times, I mean my father lives here...and now you’re here...”

Smiling he turned Matilda in his embrace, “go shower, freshen up...I need to talk to your Dad, ok?”

                “NO...” She made to protest, but he silenced her with a kiss.

                “It’s a man thing,” he breathed against her lips once he’d ended his devour of them. “I have to speak to him; I have to make this right, when you’re not around.”