Part Thirty Three

Chapter Thirty Three

Mattie had dozens of emails; she’d never been so busy. She’d promised to meet with one of the contractors at eleven, but she was struggling to deal with a couple of other pressing issues. Not for the first time that day she rued the decision to let Sarah go off and have fun, though she knew she’d not make her stay really. Calling through to reception she spoke to Mark, explaining that she was running late.

                “No problem, I’ll tell them when they arrive, though maybe Mr Wallace can help?”

She sighed, “he’s at a meeting in London.”

                “No, he came back about an hour ago. Apparently it got cancelled.”

She had no idea he was on site and despite feeling a little relieved was also a bit surprised that he hadn’t let her know he was in the office. Literally poking her head around the door to his office, she called out his name, but he wasn’t there.

Instead she returned to her office and called Fabio in the gym to lend a hand with moving some equipment outside to make room for the scaffolding, she needed to rely on him, as there was clearly no one else.

As she headed out of the reception to meet Tony, the golf pro and the other organisers of the forth coming tournament, she came face to face with Dylan. He was rubbing his sweaty face with a towel, his t-shirt and shorts stuck to his sweat slick body. She tried to avoid looking at his bare legs or his dark nipples almost visible through the damp cotton, but then his face wasn’t much easier, those full lips, knowing eyes.

                “I didn’t realise you’d be here today.”

He gave a shrug, “well I kind of live here now, don’t I?”

She flinched at that, dropping her eyes, “sorry...I have been looking for somewhere else, but I’m so busy...”

He reached out as she made to rush away, circling her wrist with his hand, “sorry that sounded worse than it should have. My meeting was cancelled. I came back but when I saw you in the dining room you seemed to have everything in hand...so I got a work out. Much overdue. Do you need me?”

She was studying him, trying desperately to see what was going through his brain...and failing. Sighing she shook her head, “no, I’m ok. You go chill.”

Nodding he gave what she could only describe as a sad smile then disappeared towards the bank of lifts in the corner of the reception.

After the golf club meeting there was a lull, but it coincided with the bridal party arriving. It was good PR to be around for these things, so she straightened her hair in the mirror, and then smoothed her hands over her dress before returning to the foyer to greet the wedding party.

                “It’s spooky seeing you be so efficient!” A voice whispered beside her, just as she was about to leave for the sanctuary of her office. Turning with a smile she saw Will.

                “Wow! You scrub up well.” He was wearing a dark grey morning suit, cream waistcoat with a plum coloured cravat, and he did look amazing, SO far from the boy she remembered from school.

His response was a lazy smile, “well, you have to make the effort on occasion.”

                “Nervous for your speech?”

He gave a really discreet nod, “but don’t tell anyone, can’t have that getting out!”

She chuckled, “good luck.”