Part Thirty Nine

Chapter Thirty Nine

Dylan watched Matilda haul herself out of the pool, water running in rivers over her barely clad body and had to avert his eyes. He could deal with the Major, he SHOULD have dealt with the Major, he was no stranger to difficult and awkward situations, so why was he here begging her to help? What the hell was wrong with him?

He shook his head not wanting to think about that.

Stood in front of him she dried her hair with a towel but didn’t cover her body...and he couldn’t look at her. It was all a bit much.

                “What is it?”

He looked up to the ceiling, anywhere but at her, “there’s a problem on the green - an infestation, Tony has had incessant abuse from the Major since. I tried...but he’s furious that you changed the date of the club competition...”

                “So this is all my fault? That bloody man! Let me find a robe, I’ll be there in a moment.”

Nodding Dylan watched her storm off, then realised that he was poolside in his suit, and shoes, inappropriate without the added face that he was struggling to forget the body he’d just seen too much of. With a shake of the head, he turned and left.

Mattie left the room feeling a little flushed, but knowing she wasn’t as puce faced as the unreasonable Major left behind in Tony’s office.

                “How was it?”

Tony was stood there looking anxious; Mattie shook her head, “you and Dylan! How the hell did you get through life without a woman to deal with things? Of course it’s ok. There’s no other option, clearly. The competition will go on when it can, and the pest problem WILL be dealt with...ok?” When Tony nodded she added, “but not by me...I am busy, ok?”

Tony nodded again as she stomped off in her robe in the direction of the reception.

Hermione was behind reception and it wasn’t until the woman’s eyes flared with surprise that Mattie realised that she looked a little out of place in the middle of the foyer in just a white robe from the spa.

                “You ok Mattie?”

Mattie nodded, “oh yes. Though apparently the world can’t turn without me. Is Dylan in his office?”  Hermione nodded that yes he was, then Mattie gave a very sarcastic smile and continued her angry stomp in his direction.

She threw the door open, no knock, no warning. Instead she marched in hands on hips, “what the hell was that all about?”

Dylan had just finished a call to one of his allies back in the US, there was no obvious danger since the break in to the office block, but Dylan didn’t believe in coincidences or accidents. Someone was after something, and he only hoped that they’d checked everything to ensure their offices were secure.

Then the door burst open and Mattie stood there, hands on hips, angry, snarling, wet hair tied back, the chunky robe not enough to detract from his visions of her earlier in that vivid black and white bikini.

                “What...” he stood to face her advancing body and was rewarded with a thump to the chest.  “What was that for?”

She groaned, “YOU. You are the boss; YOU should have given him the talking to that I just did. There’s no fault here, it’s an accident, and I don’t understand why I was dragged in from my own time to deal with him.”