Part Forty One

Chapter Forty One

In the back of the car they sat in silence, Matilda’s small hand ensconced in Dylan’s large one. He knew she was terrified, but then so was he. This was so much more than just his heart on the line, as they’d come together earlier, finally after what felt like months of foreplay, he’d lost everything he had. In that moment he knew he’d give up everything for her, he’d loved her when they were married, but having lost her, been without her for so long, this was all so much more than it ever had been. He couldn’t blow this, he couldn’t lose her again, and that wasn’t a request, it was a fact. If he lost her, he'd never function again.

As they moved through the suburban streets he glanced at her frequently, she was intently studying the passing scenery, looking at anything but him. So he lifted her hand to his lips, but instead of kissing the back of it as she may have expected, he sucked her index finger into his mouth swirling his tongue around it sensually.That made her head snap around, shock and desire so blatant on her face, she tugged at her hand, but he shook his head, lips still fastened around her finger, sucking softly.

                “Dylan,” she breathed, and is was his turn to be consumed with lust, memories of her moaning his name in an almost identical fashion half an hour earlier flashed to his mind...and groin.

With a chuckle he released the finger and smiled, “desperate times call for desperate measures.”

She gave an awkward shrug.

                “I know...this is weird, all of it. But what isn’t strange is BEING with you. We’ll sort the rest out, the details, the small print later, ok? We can do this. We can make this work. There's no other option.”

She relaxed a little, accepting his arm around her shoulders, leaning into him, “it is strange.”

He leaned in, close to her ear, “I could call ‘it’ many things Matilda Davies, but never strange. 'It' was magical...Matilda Davies, I think I am becoming addicted to you.” When she rolled her eyes he laughed, “you think I just mean sex? Cos I don’t. I even enjoy the way you shout at me, no one else can make me feel like I’m a ten year old boy...a naughty one at that.”

She turned to that and lifted an eyebrow, “ten year old boy?”

That made him laugh again, “just when you’re shouting no other time!”

She gave a sigh of relief and he was glad that they could laugh together.

The conversation had seen them hit the edge of London, and as the car moved along a familiar street, he leaned forward to the driver and got him to pull over, then he dashed out with an apologetic smile, but no explanation. As she saw him disappear in to a deli, she was grateful that he was at last thinking of the bigger picture, she hadn’t eaten since lunchtime.

He returned with a grin and dropped a bag on the floor of the car between them, “man cannot live on love alone you know?”

She peered in the bag, “Cristal champagne? Hardly survival food!”

He laughed, “celebration food lover!”

It was such a flippant and innocuous comment, if it hadn’t been the name he’d called her throughout the duration of their time together, in any passionate moment he’d always called her lover, never darling, or any other endearment. For a moment she wondered if he’d used that name on anyone else. That thought hurt her.

She froze a little awkwardly and he gave a sigh, “sorry...that was automatic. I didn’t...Only you,” he seemed to read her mind.

Matilda looked up and him and gave a smile, “I imagine our life is going to be filled with faux pas and awkwardness for a while.”