Safety

"Michonne! Michonne!" I felt my face being tapped slightly, someone shook at my shoulders.
"God dammit! They took everything!" Another voice said. I forced my eyes open, my vision was blurry.
"Michonne!" Mia continued to shake at my shoulders as my eyes struggled to stay open.
"What are we going to do now?!" Terry shouted. I heard Andre crying.
"Keep your eyes open Michonne!" Mia said, she held the side of my head in her hand. "W..w..hat happened?" I murmured.
"She hit you in the head" Mia said, she still held the side of my head tightly. I tried to reach for her hand.
"Your bleeding, badly" she said, panic spread across her face and her eyes were welled up with tears.
"Where are we supposed to go!" Mike shouted at Terry loudly. My head burned with pain as my eyes slowly closed shut again.

I could feel them carrying me, I was over someones shoulders. They were running and the sheer force through me up into the air violently. My eyes blinked open, my vision was blurry, my eyelids continued to droop but I fought against the urge.The person carrying me was Terry. He was following Mike who ran ahead quickly. I heard Andre crying loudly, being carried by Mia just a few metres ahead.
"Hurry! They're not far behind now!" Mike shouted.
"Over there!" Mia shouted. "There's people!" she shouted again.
I heard the groans from behind us, we were being followed by biters, few of them it sounded like. Mike got closer to the people.
"Get down!" the man shouted. Terry fell to the floor, and the air exploded with bullets, machine gun bullets. The groaning fell quiet, and my vision went black again.

I woke up on a bed. The room was patterned with lightly pink flowers and there was a vase beside me on a bedroom table. Mia sat on a wooden rocking chair in the corner of the room. "You're awake!" she gasped. I tried to sit up on the bed but groaned in pain as a burning sensation spread across my forehead. "Hey take it easy" she said. She walked over and held a glass of water to my mouth, I drank a gulp. taking a breath of relief. She propped another pillow behind my head. "You've been out for a few days" she said, before holding her hand to my forehead feeling my temperature.
"She hit me pretty hard huh?" I said. Mia nodded. "Where are we?" I asked.
"We were on the highway Mike and Terry were arguing, it attracted quite a few biters. We tried to loose them in the forrest but more kept coming. We saw some people, heavily armed and they shot them down, they brought us back here said we could stay as long as we want" she smiled. "How many people they got?" I asked.
"Theres around 30 of them, Its a gated compound, they got around 15 houses, all clear of biters, they said we could stay in one" she said hopefully. "Where are the others?" I asked.
"They are setting up our house, we're in the main building at the moment, they stitched up your head, bandaged it. They got doctors here Michonne. Maybe they can help with the baby" she smiled, holding her stomach. It had been around 2 months from the start of this whole thing and Mia's bump had started to grow.
"Thats great" I smiled. "Doctor says you should get something to eat, build up your strength. Wanna join me? I'm starving" she laughed. It had been a while since I had seen her happy, It had been around 2 weeks since we lost Jake now and she had begun to handle it. I was happy to see her strong again.
"Hell yeah" I laughed. She helped me up from the bed and led me out the room. The hallway was long and had around 10 rooms.
"They said this building used to be a small hotel" she said. "It's where they treat the sick."
"Guess it's pretty useful huh, must have been stocked with food at the start of this thing" I said, Mia nodded. And led me down the large staircase.

We stepped into what looked like a canteen.
"You're up" A woman said, heading over to me. "I'm Sarah, I bandaged your head, nasty cut you had there"
"Yeah, it was. Thank you." I said. Sarah was in her mid forties, her hair pulled back into a ponytail and her glasses rested on the end of her nose. She led us over to a table.
"Help yourselves to food" she smiled. I sat down at the table, feeling light headed I rested my hands on my head.
"I'll go get us some food" she smiled. Mia came back to the table a couple minutes later, the plates were covered in a large range of fruit, pineapple, orange and apple. And in the middle rested a blueberry muffin.
"Been a while since I've seen a plate like this" I laughed.
"Same here" Mia smiled. There were around 10 tables in the large room, and 5 people also sat down eating. It had been such a long time since I had seen this many people in one room, and for once I did not feel so helpless and on edge.
"The said they have been here from the start, quite a few people already lived here before. They say its a witness protection compound so its got big walls and fences" Mia said.
"Maybe we will be safe here for a while" I smiled.
"I really hope so" Mia said.