Monsters

I remember Andre's first word, he was around 1. He was sitting on the floor playing with his favorite car. As usual. He wasn't like normal kids. His first word wasn't 'mommy' or 'daddy'. I remember how he dropped his car from a height, and simply laughed saying "uh oh". Andre was never one to talk much, 2 years later and he hardly says a word. Just rambles to himself. Although he was only 3, his small face had tired eyes, which made him look sad. He couldn't possibly understand what was going on around him. His knees were tucked to his chest and he held them there tightly, refusing to let go as if protecting himself from the world. I wish I could say that this nightmare would end. But who knows. Everyone we knew is probably dead. It's been what? 3 or 4 days? Yet everything I saw from the window, was dead. It was as if everything had just disappeared. We drove through the main town of Iowa. The street lights gone as daylight fell. Dead corpses on the floor, would they rise again? It was so quiet, that sort of quiet that creeps you out, sends you insane.

As we got out of the car, not even the sound of a bird was present. The silence sent shivers down my spine. We had been driving for around an hour or 2 - we live well, lived, far out in the outskirts of Iowa. Such a nice state. What one would call 'heavens creation' as the towns preacher used to claim. But now it looked run down, shop windows were broken, emptied. The walls were covered in graffiti, some covered in blood. I am glad that I was not here to see what happened when the outbreak began.
"Hey Michonne, keep watch" Mike said, as he began filling up the car with the pump. We had began to run out of fuel, luckily the fuel tanks at the station were not yet empty. Mike had also brought spare gas canisters to save fuel, just incase. I stepped away from the car, my hand gripping my katana. The sky had become pink as daylight fell quick. We didn't have much longer till dark. It was somehow peaceful.
"Mommy!" I heard Andre shout, I turned and looked back at the car to see what Andre was pointing at. A biter crawled out from the stations shop, it fell on the glass, but then got back up to its feet, heading straight towards Terry. Its jaw snapped violently, and his hands reached out as it got closer to the unaware Terry.
"Terry!" I yelled as I ran back over to the pump, quickly. As the biter swung its arm, in attempt to grab Terry, he ducked, sending the biter to the ground who was unable to control its balance. Terry then kicked it again to the floor and it tried to push itself up. Then he brought his boot down sharply to its head, and his skull crunched as Terry repeatedly kicked the biters head. Having just reached the biter I turned away in disgust, as Terry brought down his foot once more, killing the biter.
"Phew that was close" Terry laughed.
"It's not a game Terry" I sighed, relieved.
"You guys alright?" Mike called from the car, he had just finished filling up the car and the canisters.
"Thanks for the help mate" Terry said sarcastically before letting out a laugh.
"Dude, I knew you got that, besides, you got our samurai over there watching out for you" he smiled at me.
"That my next nickname?" I smiled, and let out a large breathe. "Next time keep your eyes open T" I slapped Terry on the back of the head and he laughed.
"Will do Michonne, don't want to get on the wrong side of you again" Terry chuckled. Mike let out a laugh before getting back in the car.

"What was dat thing mommy?" Andre said as I got back in the car. I sighed and looked over at him, I took his hand.
"It was just a monster Andre, don't worry, mommy can keep them away from you" he nodded, before looking back out the window, returning to his own little world.
"Where to Mike?" Terry asked.
"We need to get out of this state, they said there were safe places, camps in Atlanta. Food, water, safety. I'd say its our best shot" Mike replied.
"You think this thing has been happening all over the country?" Terry asked.
"I don't know T, maybe they are controlling it, maybe it will be over soon, surely it can't have happened all over the country and affected everyone right?" He tried to assure himself.
"Maybe it's just America" I suggested.
"Yeah maybe, there's our plan B. If things go to hell, we find the first way out of here, a boat, a ferry, anything. Sure as hell know they ain't gunna let any planes out of here and risk making the virus worldwide" Mike said. Terry nodded. As we got out of main town Iowa, my hopes began to rise, we saw people along the roads, cars with people, alive. It was as though everyone was heading for the same place. Everyone had heard the broadcast. Atlanta was safe. As we drove along the highway, there were many cars, as though the world was back to normal, maybe it wasn't so bad. Maybe we could survive all of this. Andre smiled sat in his car seat, and I watched as relief grew over his tiny face and he finally fell to sleep, all worries gone.
"Little guy finally fell asleep" Terry smiled.
"You should do the same Miccy, you haven't slept" Mike said. I nodded leaning my head against the window. The relief sent my mind a rest, and I fell into a deep sleep.

I woke up the next morning and it was light, we were still on the highway, traffic was barely moving. Mike and Terry had switched places, Terry now held the wheel while Mike was asleep in the passenger seat. I sat up resting my chin on the back on the front seat. "Morning Miccy" Terry said.
"You wanna switch Terry, get some sleep?" I asked.
"That would be great, thanks Michonne" he smiled. The traffic was at a stand still. I got out of the car and me and Terry switched. I sat in the drivers seat, the traffic didn't look as if it was moving at all. As the temperature began to rise the journey became uncomfortable and people got out of they're cars sitting on the hood, trying to cool down. I rolled down the window, cooling down the car. Terry quickly nodded off, Mike was asleep, his head resting on the window and Andre was fast asleep in his car seat. Even though the highway was surrounded with survivors, I could not put the thought out of my head. This place did not feel safe, and I did not want to be stuck here for much longer.