We call them biters

It was nearly nightfall, the sun was setting and the sky was a beautiful orange colour. I stepped out the car, as did Mia. "This is a nice place" Mia smiled. Mike and Terry got out the car. Andre was slung over Mikes shoulder fast asleep from the long drive.
"I'm Mia, nice to meet you" she smiled, looking at mike and Terry.
"I'm Mike, and this is Terry" Mike nodded. On the other side of Mia's car, Jake got out.
"This is jake" Mia introduced him. He nodded his head before turning his back on us and looking at the house.
"He watched one of those things kill his mom.. He hasn't stopped shaking since" Mia sighed.
"God that must feel horrible" Terry said. Mia nodded. Jake reached back in the car and pulled out his baseball bat. Mike and Terry also got their weapons out the trunk. My katana already slung onto my back I approached the house, I opened the gate and it made an awful screech that gave me goosebumps.
"When was the last time someone oiled that gate, bloody hell" Terry laughed. As did Mike and Mia. It made me smile that despite everything that was happening, we could still manage to laugh and smile. It gave me hope. I approached the front of the house walking along the weed covered path, the garden was overgrown. I wiped the dust from the front window and peered inside. The furniture was covered in white sheets, which were covered in cobwebs.
"Nobody's been in there for a long time" I said. I heard Mike trying the front door, locked, obviously.
"Maybe there's a back door or window we could open?" Mia said.
"Yeah" I replied. We headed around the side of the house. The garden was walled off, the wall surrounded the house, as we traipsed through the overgrown grass around the side of the house there were a few windows, all locked. And there was a back door, wooden and old.
"Hey Mike you think you could knock off the door handle?" I asked.
"Probably, it looks pretty old." He replied, stepping forward with his crowbar. He pulled at the door handle and then hit it downwards, trying not to make too much noise. Soon enough the door handle fell and the door swung open. It was the kitchen, situated at the back of the house. The house smelt damp and musty. I stepped inside, one hand on my katana, the others followed closely behind. Terry held Andre's hand, as he lead him to the table and then sat him down. I heard Mike shut the back door, and he lodged it shut with a chair.
"That will hold for now, Terry you stay here with Andre. Me Michonne and Mia will check out the house. Jake you watch the door" Mike said. I nodded.
"You think if one of those things were in here they would have heard us by now?" Mia asked.
"You mean a biter?" I asked.
"Thats what you call them? Makes sense" Mia said.
"Better than calling them zombies" I sighed. She nodded.
"Well anyway, let's make sure." I stepped forward, and I knocked loudly on the door into the kitchen. Nothing stirred in the house, it was completely silent. "Doesn't sound like anyone or anything is here" I said.
"Best check it to make sure" Mike said. I stepped out into the hall way, beside me was a large living room, to my right was a dining room. Mike stepped into the dining room whilst me and Mia heading into the living room. It was empty. And had been for a long time. The once beautiful patterned wallpaper was stained with damp marks and draped in cobwebs. The wooden floor had faded a murky brown and had many scuff marks, the wood was old and creaky. I pulled the cover of what I assumed was a sofa. It was clean, untouched, a cream fabric not even a mark lay upon the sofa.
"I look forward to sitting on that" Mia laughed. Mike looked through the door.
"Dining room was clear. Ready to check upstairs?" He asked.
"Yeah" I walked over. The stairs were wooden with a patterned balustrade. As Mike made his way up, I followed behind with Mia by the side of me. There were what I could see, 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and a study.
"Nice house" Mia whispered. I nodded. We went through each bedroom one by one, all were clean. The study was full of books, the shelves were lined alphabetically. With an old wooden desk sat in the corner. We approached the bathroom, the door was shut. Mike opened the door slightly and peered in, recoiling at the horrid smell that came from the bathroom. He opened the door, and jumped back as a rat ran past his feet. Mia jumped besides me and squealed.
"Oh god" Mike said as he walked in, I followed in behind. In the bathtub what I could see were the remains of a dead dog. I turned around, facing the wall, as the bile rose in my throat.
"I'll get rid of that later" Mike said, leading me and Mia out of the bathroom. We walked back downstairs to the kitchen. Terry sat next to Andre at the table. And Jake stood by the door, looking outside. "House is clear, stay out of the bathroom for now" Mike said.
"Sure thing"Terry replied.
"C'mon little man, you need to get some sleep" I said looking at Andre, he got up from the table and walked over to me. I picked him up in my arms.
"There's some wood in the dining room to secure the door" Mike said.
"Alright then, let's get that out the way." I left Mike and Terry in the kitchen with Jake. I headed to the living room with Mia. She uncovered the other sofa, and I lay down Andre on it, covering him with his favorite blanket that he had refused to let go of. Whilst me and Mia sat at on the other sofa.
"Thank you for letting us come with you Michonne" Mia said.
"No problem, its nice to have a girl around for once" I smiled.
"I'm sorry about Jake. He hasn't spoke to me at all either.. Since it happened" her face crumpled.
"When did it happen?" I put my hand on her shoulder.
"3 days ago, it really messed him up" she looked down at her hands.
"That's understandable he probably just needs some time. So anyway, what's your story?" I asked her.
"I'm 27, raised in Texas, family live in England so god knows if their alive. I worked in the local mall, nothing special really. We were heading to Atlanta, they said it was safe and if this thing carries on, that's the best place for me to be, I'm around 3 weeks pregnant. Found out a couple days before it started. Great huh, just in time for the end of the world. And now my own husband wont talk to me, he can't even look after himself, talk about me." Her smile faded, and now I saw what she had been holding in, she brought her hands to her face and breathed heavily.
"Hey we don't know how long this will last. And congratulations. Don't worry Mia, we will get to Atlanta." I assured her.
"I really hope so" she sighed.