Clear

A few days had past and I was now sitting back in the stock room. Clyve - the doctor - shone the small torch into my eyes.
"The concussion has cleared" he said happily, pulling away.
"So I'm able to start working?" I asked. He nodded. "Thank you Clyve" I said. Holding out my hand. He took it, shaking it accepting my gesture.
I headed out of the stock room, I was happy to be able to work. I had spent the past few days stuck here lying around all day. There was a run later on today, which I was looking forward to going on. I felt smothered here, I had not been surrounded by this many people for such a long time. I soon felt over crowded. Brenden had also been assigned to run duty, which I was grateful for, apart from the fact I would have to leave Andre with Mike.
"You good?" Brenden asked me, he was stood in the hallway having waited outside the stock room. Andre was stood by his side.
"Yeah, I'm good" I smiled. He nodded, a smile on his face. He held Andre's hand. I was happy to see how close Andre had grown to him. He was a good role model for him. Someone Andre could depend on, unlike his father.

Together we headed back into the main room, and to the tills, where Hank was organising the equipment for the supply run.
"You clear?" He asked me. I nodded. "Glad to hear" he smiled.
"You and Brenden will be in a pair. There are 6 pairs in total, each pair get a different part of the store, you watch each other's back." He pointed to the whiteboard, he had drawn out the ground layout of the hardware store and labelled sections with the pairs. "We've been planning this for a long time, it's the biggest supply run we've done yet" he said, as if reading my mind of questions.
"When we heading out?" I asked.
He looked down at his watch. "In around half and hour" he said.
I nodded, and we headed back to the shelves. I walked into Mike and Terry's section.
"Me and Brenden have a run, be sure to look after Andre carefully" I looked at Mike. "Hank told me you don't have a duty" I added. He shrugged, turning away from me lying on his bed. I sat Andre down on a pile of cushions next to Mike's bed. I knelt in front of Andre.
"Stay safe peanut, stay with daddy." I said to him quietly. He nodded before hugging me tightly.
"Don't let him out of your sight." I said to Mike.
"Whatever" Mike mumbled.
I stood back up, heading back out of the section. Brenden looked at me sadly. "He'll be fine" he whispered, assuring me. I nodded, swallowing my fear and dread. I spotted Terry in the middle of the supermarket, he was sat in the floor, a girl sat next to him and she clung on his arm.
"Should we talk to her..." Brenden murmured. I knew then that he had the same thought as me. I sighed. Terry was capable of horrible things, he would only put her in danger or hurt her.
"We shouldn't make him angry. Maybe she will help him." I said, as if trying to convince myself. I wanted to help her, I did, but it would only make Terry worse. I watched as she planted a kiss on his cheek, he smirked then turned and kissed her on the lips.
"If he hurts her.. He will get kicked out of here." Brenden said.
"That's a good thing. For all of us." I said simply.

There were 2 trucks on the run. They were old sort of military vehicles. Hank had said they found them at a refugee camp which had fallen a long time ago. There were 6 of us in each truck. They had given us all a gun, though we were told it was to be a silent job. They were running low on ammo as it was. I stared out the window, my fists clenched. I was worried about Andre, I shouldn't be apart from him. Brenden took my hand and I turned to look at him.
"He's going to be fine, never met such a strong willed kid in all my life" Brenden comforted me. I nodded, smiling slightly. I'm glad he carried on despite loosing his family, he kept me going.

It wasn't long before we pulled up outside the hardware shop. I hopped out the truck first, pulling out my katana taking out the biters in front of the store. I had the strongest silent weapon out of the group, most were armed with bats and axes. Brenden carried a crowbar. Once I took out the four stumbling biters, the others got out the trucks.
"Nice one" One of the guys said to me.

The doors had been boarded up from the inside, hopefully it had been enough to keep any biters out. I stood back whilst the leader of the group, Todd, kicked at the doors. After 3 strong kicks the doors swung back wards. He stood for a few seconds waiting for any movement, he then banged loudly on the window of the store, trying to draw any biters out. It looked empty, he whistled calling us up. We entered slowly into the dark store, me and Brenden headed towards the back of the store, our sector was building supplies. Brenden filled the bags of nails, screws and hammers whilst I stood guard, watching his back. Everything was fine until I heard Todd shout at the top of his lungs.
"EVERYBODY OUT! RIGHT NOW!" And within seconds I heard the warehouse door fall from its hinges and biters flooded into the shop. They were in the middle of the store and they cut off our exit. We had to run.
"You ready?" I turned to look at Brenden. He pulled his gun from his jeans and snapped off the safety.
"Ready" he nodded.