Mia

I was still sat at the wheel 5 hours later alone, the traffic was finally moving, still at an incredibly slow space. But nevertheless, moving. Mike, Terry and Andre had still not stirred. And the worries in my head began to build. I couldn't help but feel unsafe on this motorway, I wish I had hope, I really do. But there's a horrible thought itching in the back of my head, that I needed to get off this motorway. So I decided to pull off at the next junction, a mile away. I still was unable to understand as to why the traffic had been moving slow, sure there was accidents but with all the shit going on around us you would have thought people would have been in a hurry to get a move on.

But it was not long until the traffic began to slow again, and the sky began dark, it clouded over, just like that in a few split seconds. Then a car beeped his horn, and then again, and then more cars began, in a panic. What were they doing? That's when I saw them. I look across to the side of the highway, across the fields you could see them, biters. Tens of them, maybe even a hundred. I looked across to the car along side of me, there was a couple, scared to the bone looking across at the wave of biters.
"Roll up your windows, lock your doors. We have to keep them out, until the traffic moves" I said, the woman looked back at me, her eyes red, sleepless and scared. Then she nodded, and I heard a click as the doors locked. "You see that break in the highway fence over there?" I asked her. She nodded. "That's our way out, we wait for a break in the traffic, straight across to that gap, follow closely behind me. Okay? It's our only way out." Explained quickly to her. The biters were closing in, just a mere few metres away from the barricades.
"Thank you. My name is Mia by the way." The young women replied.
"I'm Michonne. Whatever you do, don't fall behind." She nodded once again, before rolling up her window and explaining the plan to her partner, who gripped the wheel tightly as if holding on for dear life. By now the biters had climbed over the barricade and head quickly towards the cars, they pushed against the cars, ferociously trying to get inside to the living flesh. They climbed over car bonnets and clawed at windows. Hungry.

Andre awoke, a biter had got to his window and he screamed loudly.
"What's going on?!" Mike awoke quickly. It hit its fist again and again trying to break Andre's window. I didn't know how long the glass would hold. I watched as Mike tried to open his door, which I had locked.
"They are everywhere Mike" I whispered. Terry turned round, and tried to distract Andre, he played with his hands telling him a story. But the constant thud of the biter brought Andre to tears and he would not stop. I heard glass shatter, a few cars back. A biter had made its way into a car, there was an ear piercing scream as the biter attacked the family. I turned to Mia, and nodded. This was our time to go. As the traffic began to move slowly, I cut in front of the car to my left, and over the next car to my left until we were on the edge of the highway just a few foot away from the break in the barricade. Mike and Terry were quiet, hell maybe they were even scared. Mia and her partner followed quickly behind, cutting between the cars to get to be edge. I heard another window break and yet again the screams of innocent people rang out over the highway. And then again, and again and again. I heard a car try to ram into Mia's car, but they pulled away quickly, letting out a screech from the wheels. The biters had overloaded the highway. I drove quickly through the hole in the barricade and straight down the embankment into the field below, a few seconds later Mia followed, driving alongside. And I stopped, turning off the engine.
"What the hell are you doing? Don't stop" Mike said, his hand tightly gripping Andre's.
"They're not following, they don't want us, there's enough on the highway" I sighed. He leaned back in his seat.
"Better them than us" he finally said.
"They were innocent people" I looked at the wheel.
"People are gunna die Miccy, bout time you got used to that" he said.
"Times like these call for a little bit of hope" I replied angrily, before getting out the car and slamming my door. Mia also got out her car. Her partner still at the wheel. She held out her hand.
"Nice meeting you Michonne, you always been a life saver?" She laughed slightly, and then smiled. I shook her hand.
"You could say that" I laughed. She looked nervously back to the highway. "We're gunna find a place to stay for the night, hopefully a cottage somewhere far out. Most people would have left by now so the places should be empty. She nodded.
"Thank you Michonne" she said. I nodded. I pointed back in the car "That's my boyfriend Mike, my son Andre and Terry" I said, introducing them.
"That's my husband back in the car there, Jake" she smiled. I smiled slightly. I opened up the car door.
"We'll get quite far away from the highway, find a place that looks empty to stay for the night" I said.
"Sounds like a plan" she replied and got into her car. I sat down in the drivers seat and shut the door.
"Who the hell are they?" Mike asked.
"Her name is Mia, and that's her husband jake." I replied bluntly. Before starting the car, and starting up the engine.
"They coming with us?" Terry asked. I nodded.
"You sure these people are okay?" Mike asked.
"Just because the world went to hell doesn't mean everyone else has" I sighed, before pushing down on the acceleration and driving out of the field.

We drove for about an 1 hour, to make sure we were far away from the highway. Every house looked empty, no lights were on, no cars, no sign of life. Some houses had been graffitied on, windows were smashed. There was even the odd biter wandering around aimlessly in a front garden. But we came across house which looked untouched, no sign of life. No sign of life for a long time. The garden was completely overgrown, the windows were dirty and the roof was covered in moss. The paint peeled from the door, and window frames. I pulled up infront of the house.
"This will do for now" I said.
"Yeah" Mike sounded relieved.