Home

I got into the front of the van, Brenden by my side, he lay Andre's head on his lap. He was still fast asleep. As I started the engine I looked across to Amelia's grave. I said a final goodbye in my head before pushing down on the acceleration.
Amelia told me not to try to forget, she said to embrace it, she said it was better to have had people, than never had them at all. She taught me that. I was embracing it now, thoughts of both Amelia and Mia raced through my head as I drive along the country road. It hurt. But I couldn't help but smile, they may be gone now, but I had them for a short while. And it was worth it. I missed them, so much. But I didn't have too, I know they are still with me.

"Can they hear us from back there?" I asked Brenden quietly.
"No" he replied.
"Pull out the map, direct me to Michigan" I said.
"You really mean it?" He said excitedly.
"Of course" I smiled.
"Thank you Michonne" Brenden said, a smile spreading across his face. After loosing 2 of the people most important to me, I wanted to help Brenden find the people who were most important to him. I just hope they are still alive.
Soon later we pulled up on the highway.
"We're at junction 53, so it's a left" Brenden said. I nodded, turning sharply to the left and heading down the wrong side of the highway.
"You said you were in a high school?" I asked him.
"Yeah.. My old high school. We boarded up the whole place, it was already surrounded by fences. We cleared it all out, all slept in the main hall together just in case. There were a lot of us. 30 or so maybe. We always had someone on watch. We were there for a long time, it just felt like it was meant to be." He said, he smiled slightly, knowing he would - hopefully - be returning to his family.
"It sounds great" I said, hoping it would be somewhere safe for us to stay.
"Yeah. It is. I just hope it's still like that. I hope they're still all there. My family. Me and my siblings made it. Max and Naveh. Our mom and dad were there to start. But many of the older people in our group didn't make it through the bad winter. They didn't make it." He said.
"I'm sorry to hear that." I said.
"I was just glad they were no longer in any sort of danger, it's sad to say, but they were happy to go." He sighed.
"I'm sure they're watching down on you and your siblings." I said empathising with him.
"I hope so" he said, before leaning against the window and closing his eyes.
I was alone again once Brenden had fell asleep. I drove calmly down the highway following the signs to Michigan. It wasn't far to drive. I enjoyed the silence, watching as the scenery passed by. There was no longer many biters around the highway, and the journey made me feel as though the world was back to normal again. It was so peaceful.

After driving for many hours I finally reached the turn off for Michigan, I pulled off the highway, and turned under the underpass, out of sight. I stopped the van and turning off the engine. I sighed, leaning back and rubbing my eyes. There was no use in waking anyone, it was pitch black darkness with no way of navigating to safety or to the high school. I felt my eyes beginning to droop and I soon fell asleep.

I was awoken suddenly the next morning by a banging noise, opening my eyes I saw a biter slamming it's fists down onto the bonnet. Automatically jumping into action I turned the keys, starting the engine, the van spluttered before jumping to life. Brenden woke beside me, rubbing his eyes. I pulled away from the biter and back onto the street, I headed into Michigan with no idea where I was going.
"Where are we?" Brenden said as we drove along the road.
"Michigan, just off the highway." I said. "You know the way from here?" I asked, tired as hell.
"Yeah" he said happily. "Pull over" he said. I stopped the car, and he got out, walking around to the drivers side. I slid across the cab seats, hoisting Andre onto my lap. Brenden got in beside me, starting the engine.
"Thank you Michonne, thank you so much" he said, as he began driving.
I nodded. "Anytime" I replied, leaning against the window, automatically falling asleep, exhausted.