My story

My names Michonne. The second name isn't important. I guess you could say this is a diary, my thoughts throughout the day of this apocolyptic life. It all started around 2 weeks ago.

I came home one day, after my fencing lesson. I got out the car and walked into my home. "Hey Andre!" My 3 year old son ran to me, I picked him up and spun him round, I kissed the top of his head and he smiled. Holding him to my chest I walked into the living room.
"Hey Miccy" Mike said. Mike is my boyfriend, we've been together for 5 years, he's Andres father. I smiled.
"Hey Michonne" I looked across the room to see Terry -Mike's best friend sitting on the couch.
"Hey Terry, what brings you here again?" I said sarcastically, Terry has always been a good friend of ours for many years, growing up with Mike they were like brothers.
"Beers, watching the game, little man here is trying to learn the rules of football" he smiled at Andre and he lept from my arms and sat on the floor by Terry's knees.
"Hell yeah he is, and he's getting good at it" Mike laughed.
"Boys huh" I smiled. I turned and walked into the kitchen. "Pizza boys?" I called back.
"Yeah!" They called back happily.

I was about to pick up the phone when I heard the radio, which was sat on the side of the other side of the kitchen.
"Dead people walk, for your own safety lock all your doors and windows, do not leave your homes, I repeat, stay indoors!" I looked across the room in confusion. The broadcast was on a loop.
"Mike! You gotta listen to this!" I called him. I heard him turn the TV down then he walked into the room, Andre on his back, and Terry walking slowly behind. He leaned across to the radio as it repeated.
"Dead people walk, for your own safety lock all your doors and windows, do not leave your homes, I repeat, stay indoors!". Mike looked back at Terry.
"The hell man" Terry said, then looked across to me.
"Dead people walk?" I looked back at him in confusion.
"You heard what the man said, lock the doors and windows" he then said. "I got upstairs, you two do down here" Mike said before disappearing up the stairs with Andre.

Terry and I locked the back door and the front door, latched all the windows before drawing the curtains. Terry came back downstairs, Andre clinging to his neck tightly. "Michonne.. You need to look out the window" Mike said shakely. He then walked into the front room, we followed behind and he very carefully drew back the curtain. I looked out the window. Huge fires lit up the sky, the city was in flames.

Our house stood a few miles away from the city, on small hill. The house I always dreamed of as a kid. And now extremly safe, away from the city. The first thing that struck my eyes were the flames that rose high into the air.
"Terry grab the binoculars" I said. He passed them to me, and I peered through. I saw people running, fire engines being cut off from the fires by what looked like car pile ups. It was a mess. I drew back the curtain and sat down the sofa, Andre climbed onto my lap and clung to me tightly. Mike switched the TV channel to the news, and turned up the volume.
"We do not know what has caused this, it seems to be a virus, we do not know yet how to prevent it or how it is spreading. Stay in your homes and await further broadcasts" The footage showed people.. No.. Not people. They were dead. Dead people walking.
"What the hell is going on" Terry said.
"Who knows" I whispered.