prologue.

Being part of a society in which everything is arranged, there is little room for anything spontaneous. The world is just a big show, and everyone's life is a dress rehearsal. It's all scripted. Anyone that wants to live life on their own terms will not be allowed. Not here.

Such is the nature of Paix.

Paix. Pronounced "pay". It's a French word, literally meaning peace. Today, if you were to look on a map, you would find it's located where North America used to be, before the reformation when it lost its name. And it's liberty.

This reformation began in 2025 when the French government decided America was corrupt. Somehow, they gained control of the country, demanding a utopian society. The rules were implemented to create a world without pain. A world without fear. A world without sorrow.

Personally, I wasn't alive at the time. Nor was anyone I know. All I know is the world I live in now. And it sucks.

All aspects of life are mapped out as soon as you're born. Any deviation from this map is forbidden, punishable by immediate arrest, and in worse cases, death. Since the forced idea of utopia, acts of disobedience have been scarce, almost nonexistent. No one questions why things are this way. Our society has been taught to just accept it.

No one that had their sanity about them would venture to resist the power of the government. In fact, those that do try are detained.

And that is what confuses me. I know that I am sane. I know the consequences for breaking the rules. Until this point, everyone has lived their lives in accordance to what was pre-determined.

I'm just wondering how I got so lucky.

.

so i had a dream about this a while ago i thought it could make a pretty interesting fanfic. i am so excited for this, you have no idea.

x