twenty six.

jade's pov

The rain falls gently against the window of the cafeteria. I stare out of it, resting my chin in the palm of my hand. The sky itself, with its gray and clouded atmosphere, appears sullen. It's strange, but, everything seems more calm when it rains. Though, it doesn't rain very often here. In my nineteen, nearly twenty, years of life, I think I have only seen it rain seven times, in total. That can't be natural, right?

I sigh and watch a drop of water cascade down the glass of the window. It merges with another drop, doubling its size and its weight, and eventually reaches the bottom. I push my hair back behind my ear, oddly amused by the rain. I wish I could go outside and enjoy it. I wish I could see it more often.

"Do you think they control the weather?" I whisper, mostly to myself, but Harry hears me. He pulls himself from his conversation with the boys and turns to me. He places his arm around my waist and leans closer.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing." I shrug. "I was just thinking out loud, I guess."

Harry licks his lips and stares at me. "Well, I've grown quite fond of your mind, and your thoughts. So, I'd like to know what you said." He smiles softly and I tear my eyes away from the window.

I sigh again, the gray atmosphere of the sky making its way into my own attitude. "I asked if you think they control the weather?"

Harry furrows his eyebrows. "Who is they?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe the government. You don't think it's weird that it hardly ever rains? It just doesn't seem natural to me."

"I don't see how anyone could have the ability to control the weather. That might be the one thing they can't tamper with." Harry laughs lightly and adjusts his arm around my shoulder, hugging me to his chest. When I don't respond, he pulls back. He frowns at me, concern lacing his features. I can feel his gaze on me, but I don't look up at him. "Are you okay?" He asks, squeezing my shoulder.

"I don't know. I think the weather makes me gloomy." I dismiss his question, staring down at my hands.

I feel him staring at me again, but, this time, he doesn't say anything. He turns to the boys again and, for a second, I feel sad. I don't want him to stop talking to me. But I don't feel like talking. Why am I so complicated right now?

"Jade and I are going to walk around for a bit." Harry nods to them and I look over to him in surprise. I'll admit, that felt good. I'm not sure why I expected any less from him, though. He's made it clear on several occasions how much he cares about me.

Harry pushes his chair back and grabs my hand. He helps me stand and we start walking away from the cafeteria, towards the doors of the mess hall. Harry scans the room as we enter, and I assume he's looking for a place to sit. I've never seen it this crowded. I suppose no one wants to go outside, given the weather.

"Come on." Harry flicks his head towards the right side of the room and pulls me behind him. He leans against the wall and slides down it, patting the spot on the floor next to him. "Would you like to sit with me?" He looks up at me, raising his eyebrows.

I nod and slide down the wall as well. Harry grabs my hand as soon as I've settled beside him, turning to face me. "Now, do you want to tell me what's wrong?" He asks and I turn to look at him, surprised, again, by his question. Harry laughs quietly and shakes his head. "Why do you look so surprised? You didn't really think I'd believe the weather was upsetting you, did you?"

"Um, I guess not."

"I know you, Jade. That can't work on me." He smiles, pausing for a moment and staring at me. "So, what's got you gloomy?"