Chapter 28

Chapter 28

The pain running through me doesn’t stop. It get’s worse and worse by the minute. Only then do we reach the hospital and Caleb carries me out of the car. A nurse talks to Christina fairly quickly about something and then the nurse comes out and makes me sit in a wheel chair. I feel more gut wrenching pain when I sit rather than I do when I’m laying down. The people in the waiting room stare at me harshly. I hear whispers of people saying, “She’s so young,” or, “Gah. People these days messing around.” I find the urge to get up and punch them in their faces so bad but at this point it’s impossible to even move my legs. I’m taken to a room where it’s plain, empty almost, and cold. Caleb and Christina help me move on to the bed. 

“Ahh!” I curl up really tightly into a ball. How long will this take?

The nurse tells me to calm down and just relax, that everything is going to be a alright. How can everything be okay? I’m going to give birth, I’m worried about Tobias and my mind is racing a mile a minute.

Stay calm

The nurse tells me her name, trying to distract me from my anxiety. I can’t remember it though. She then sticks a needle through my arm without telling me what it is. I want to put the needle in. I can’t trust anyone other than myself. I’m to shaky to do it though so I just let her. 

Stay calm

Instantly I can feel the effects of the drug and it calms me. She gave me a drug to relax me. The pain is numbed but its still on the border-line of its occurrence again. 

Stay calm.

It’s when Christina steps into the room again and puts a cool towel over my head is when I can really gather myself again and stay calm.

*******************************

Tobias’s Point of View

We took the train back to the city where Tris awaits. I haven’t talked to Tris for a while because our phones lost signal once I took the train. I’m sure she’s okay. Chris and Jessica tend to one of my wounds and sticks a large bandage over it. One of the enemies on the opposing side was able to get a clear shot of me on my upper hip when I was least expecting it. Luckily, it didn’t paralyze me. It left a nasty gash and Chris was able to remove the bullet. 

I can say that this was a successful mission. Evelyn was put into a maximum security prison where she will spend the rest of her life. I saw her though. The look of defeat in her eyes, the pleading, the desperate eager person she is that was telling me why. Why would her own son do this? But I put the question right back at her. Why would my own mother do this to her only son? I’ll never forget it. The last time I saw her with that look, being taken from the floor of the lab by two security guards, broken serum bottles and syringes everywhere. I didn’t feel anything then. Just gave her a cold hard look that showed zero emotion. Most likely the coldest I’ve ever been. 

The new serums that were made were taken care of by Chris’s team which, just to have them, I snuck a few bottles out because not all are bad. I got Revival serum again in case I need it for any use at all. 

There is possibly a small feeling of guilt inside me, for all the truth was worth, Evelyn is still my mother. I can’t change that. She was the one who raised me, taught me new things. But then again she is also the one who gave me away to my abusive father and the one to execute Tris and my son. Everything about her is quickly dismissed as the train horn sounds which only means one thing. We have arrived. 

We all jump off a few at a time. Our trucks we used to get through the murky meadows are still parked where we left them. It strikes me that we never found Gunner after the attacks that one day. He must have escaped but I don’t think he’s ever coming back. Chris starts the car up and we pull away back into the city. Where the city starts to come into view is when my phone gets signal. I check it to see if I have been notified by anyone. I check the inbox to see if I have any missed calls and it says I have a few missed calls from three hours ago. I listen to the voicemail.Thats when I feel strange. 

My heart is pounding so hard I’m sure Chris and Jessica can hear it. Tris. Tris is giving birth. Without me there. 

“Tobias you okay there?” Chris asks me.

I can barely get my words out into a full sentence. I’m too baffled. Too stunned. I manage to say one thing though. 

“I need to get to the hospital. Now.”

***********************************

Tris’s Point of View

I’ve been in labor for three hours now. Three hours and they keep on trying calm me. The baby is coming. The baby is coming real soon. I can sense it. 

Christina steps out of the room to take a call. I ask her who it is before she leaves but she won’t tell me who. More pain comes again and I let out a wale. The drugs are wearing off now. I hear heavy footsteps in the hall, like someones running this way. Thats when I see him. Him. Tobias, standing as still as can be in the doorway. He stares at me with his deep blue eyes, smiling. 

He comes over with Christina to my bedside, Caleb on the other. Tobias kneels down onto the floor and puts his warm hand into mine. His other hand moving strands of hair away from my sweaty face. My worries subside for the moment. 

He is here. He is safe and with me. Theres a bond that cannot be broken from us. A bond that makes my love for him grow stronger and stronger every second of my life. 

“I’m glad you’re here.” I croak out. 

“Everything is going to be okay Tris. I’m not leaving this time.”

It sounds better coming form him saying it than it does the nurse. Theres something about her I just don’t like. 

All of a sudden, the biggest strike of pain hits me hard. I scream so loudly I think the whole hospital can hear me. Doctors scramble everywhere saying, “It’s coming!” and believe it or not he’s right. I feel the baby coming this time. Tobias still keeps holding on to my hand, both his hands are tightly gripped onto mine. 

“Breath Tris. Just breath.” Caleb tells me. 

I push and push so hard it hurts. Scream after scream push after push and finally. 

A baby boy is born.

The doctors clean him up then carefully, sets little baby Andrew into my arms all wrapped up into the blue blanket. I give a chance for Caleb and Christina to see him before we ask everyone if Tobias and I could have a moment.

Everyone leaves the room and the door shuts behind them. It’s just the three of us now. Andrew stops crying after I keep him close to me. Thats when I hand him over to Tobias. Tobias cradles him in his arms ever so gently. Andrews tiny hand wraps around Tobias’s finger. I’ve never seen Tobias so unguarded. He’s like a whole different person now. 

This is a whole new chapter in my life now. A new beginning has started and I must live with this. No factions no controlling government and hopefully not as much violence as we’ve had in the past. And with time I learn. I learned that you can’t stay stuck in the past. The past is the past and you must move on from that point and never look back. To just cherish the good memories in life and this, this right here can be one of my best moments in my life. 

Nothing will make me change it for the world. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE FEELS! I gave myself feels just writing this! Did you guys like it? I tried that switching perspective thing. It was hard if I didn't use it. Idk. Please comment below I love all of your comments and try to reply to each one. Next chapter will kinda be shortish. I have’t decided yet but after that chapter then I’m writing the Epilogue to this book. Writing is my therapy and this makes me happy when I’m having a hard time. Thank you everyone! You guys are my biggest fans! Please vote!

ONE LAST THING…..

Im writing a new book called “Girl Under the Oak Tree”… I need a cover for it if anyone has ideas of covers DM me on my Instagram @girlofdivergent. More info look on my message section of my page on Wattpad. 

~Stay Brave