Chapter 26

Chapter 26

    Bright morning light creeps into the broken glass windows. Looking to the ground next to me I find that Tobias is gone. He’s usually the one to be gone from the mornings first anyways.   

I stand up though with the adding weight from the baby isn’t helping so I struggle. I walk over to one of the windows and just look out to the empty streets, abandoned buildings, and cloudless blue sky. The warmth of the sun trickles over my hand to my arm. I haven’t felt the warmth of the sun in a while but I find it calming. My mind trails of over thoughts of where Gunner is or if he’s dead or alive. I have hope that he’ll come back. But then I think, what about me? Am I going to even be able to go on with the baby? I know I told Tobias that I was strong but will that be enough to keep me going when yesterday Evelyn almost killed us?   

Before I feel anymore hopeless with myself, Tobias surprises me when he comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my shoulders, making me feel secure. We stand in silence for a while enjoying each others presence until Tobias speaks up.   

“I was talking to Chris about when backup should arrive. He said they would come in large numbers and not to worry.” Tobias sounds depleted as he talks. Like there is a sort of anxiety to his voice. I wouldn’t blame him, I mean having our son on the way and also the pain knowing that his “mother” is to be executed for her horrible actions is nothing you should not be stressed about. Everything’s just a matter of time.   

“What are we supposed to do in the meantime? We’re basically standbys.”  

He doesn't answer my question.   

“Listen Tobias, I think we should just sit back and let backup take care of the rest. We’ve tried possibly everything we could do. It’s not up to us anymore.”  

He nods but doesn’t seem completely on board with the idea.   

“Problem is,” he continues, “is that I want to do more.”   

I turn to look at Tobias. His internal-self seems to be aching with anxiety. I can see it in his eyes.    “Tobias, you’ve done enough. Trust me.”  

All that comes from him is a soft nod. I kiss him passionately and he kisses me back with an even warmer embrace than the suns.   

“Tris, I have something to show you.” He smiles.   

He take me into a room and closes my eyes with his hands. I’m full of curiosity to see what the surprise is.  

“Ready?”  

I nod.   

I can’t believe it. Its Caleb. It’s him. Alive. Alive. Is this true?   

I run up to Caleb and hug him so hard and he hugs me back.   

“It’s good to see you again Tris.”   

“Its good to see you too.” Tears blur my vision and I turn to Tobias who is leaning against the door frame of the room.   

“How?” I ask Tobias.  

“Well I had some of the serum made by Caleb left so I put it to use. I thought we could use his expertise in a few things so I went to get him last night. Too sudden?” He asks.   

“Well its a weird place for a reunion but no. Thank you so much Tobias.” He smiles.   

Caleb stumbles back to look at me. He’s startled to find that I’m pregnant. I expect him to give a questioned look but instead he’s smiling, happy.   

“What’s its name?” He asks.  

“Andrew.” Tobias responds.   

Caleb starts to tear up a little at the remembrance of our father and naming the baby after him.   

“I hate to interrupt,” says Tobias, “but I think Chris and Jessica have plans for us down in the other room.”  

We both nod and Caleb asks me about whats going on. On our way down the to the room, I catch him up on a few things and what has happened with Evelyn. I also tell him about who Jessica and Chris are and that we also had or maybe still have a dog along with us. It’s only then do I realize that the problem can be much harder to fix then expected. I don’t want to think about that now though. I’ve heard that you can put a patch over your scraped knee but at some point it’s bound to fall off and leave a mark.   

When we reach the room, I introduce who Caleb is to Chris and Jessica. Christina on the other had is big eyed. She comes over to give Caleb a huge hug and a ‘welcome back to the real world’ type of thing.    We sit in a circle in the middle of the empty room. Chris discussing bits and parts of what is ideal to do next. The basic gist of the whole story, he and Jessica want to go and backup things with the police.  

“Wait.” Tobias says.  

“If you’re going to kill-“  

“No Tobias,” says Chris, “we figured that we would just throw her in prison. It would be much less of a hassle then to just shoot her.”   

“Then I’m coming.”   

“Tobias you can’t go.”  

“No Tris, I have to go. I want to face my mother. Right this time.”  

His fists are clenched onto his knees and he become serious.  

“Tris, Christina, and Caleb, we can arrange with some plans to put you back into Jessica’s fathers hotel. If that’s fine with you.” Chris says. “We leave today."  

I look at Tobias who has no sympathy anymore. His expression is straight forward and theres no changing him mind. I don’t want him to go though. I want him to stay in case the baby comes but that would be just selfish of me. I know what I have to do even though it pains me. I have to let him go.   

“Okay.” Is all I manage to say.

    *********************************  

Christina, Caleb and I get dropped off at the hotel and I have a few more minutes with Tobias before he goes.   

“If the baby comes, call me. Chris gave me a cell phone now. Here.”  

He gives me a phone identical to his and says that his number is on speed dial number one.   

I give Tobias a goodbye hug though I know it won’t be the last. I can always watch whats going on though the TV which will be on all the time around me. I want to know thats he going to be okay.   

The car that Chris choose to leave in pulls up and he gets in. He rolls down the window. He kisses me. I don’t want him to go so I make the kiss as long as possible before he leaves.   

“I love you.”  

“I love you too Tobias.”   

It’s the last thing he says before the car drives off into the cold bitter night.       

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

  Yea! Chapter 26 is here! To be honest, I know it has been like a while since I updated but i’m deeply sorry. School started again and school is killing me with homework. I had sooooooo many projects to do but now they are done so this weekend was like the only weekend that I didn’t have homework. Gah! I promise I will update sooner this time. Unless work gets in the way. PLEASE COMMENT WITH YOUR WONDERFUL THOUGHTS! THEY KEEP ME WRITING! so many of you don’t comment but they really make me feel better to know what you guys think. Any one want a dedication just let me know when you comment! I will take each and everyone of you in consideration:)  One last thing… Thank you so much for 4.5K! I never thought I deserved so many of you reads! Thank you!  ~Be Brave~