Chapter 6

Chapter 6

We arrive at the bomb site and I spot Christina already on location. I wave to her and she comes running towards me.

"Hey, thought you would come!" She says and gives me a big hug. As she lets go of our embrace she notices the silver ring on my finger.

"No way!" Her voice is full of astonishment. "What?" I say. "Did Tobias propose to you?" I can tell she's excited. "Spill the news, spill the news!"

"Okay, he did propose to me at his house." I can't help but to smile but I'm still worried about Caleb.

"Did you guys... you know what I mean."

"Yes we did." I feel like I'm giving away too much personal information now.

"Well congratulations!" She says and then I say thanks.

I see Tobias come out of the truck and walk towards me. He walks around carefully as if another bomb could go off at any minute. He sees me standing with Christina and gestures for us to come his way.

"I'm going to check out more of this location and see if I can find any inforamation or evidence to see who set off the bomb." Tobais then looks at me and then to Christina. He says, "Christina, do me a favor and watch this little girl," he's reffering to me, "and make sure that she doesen't get into any trouble."

I wince at Tobias and say, "Who are you calling little? For your information I just turned eighteen just weeks ago!" I smile and he smiles back at me and kisses me on the lips.

"I'll be back. If you don't see me come back in twenty minutes then come look for me." I nod and he's off. He runs with his hand on his gun and then I can't see him anymore. The smoke from the burning building next to me is starting to make me choke. Christina and I walk to a less smoke filled area and we find a large metal street light that fell and sit on it. She talks to me and I don't really listen. I'm too focused on Caleb. Her voice trails off. Is Caleb okay? I should have let him stay with me and Tobias last night. That probably wouldn't have settled well with Tobais though. Tobias never liked Caleb. I guess it was because Caleb almost let me get killed because of Jennine. I can see why now.

Christina stops her blabbering and looks at me. Did I miss something important that she said? "Do you smell that?" She says.

" I do." The smell is making me cringe and I feel bile coming up through my throat. " It smells like burning flesh."

Christina cringes too. I'm starting to get worried again. Where's Tobias?

"Has it been twenty minutes yet?" I ask Christina.

" Close, it's only been fifteen." She dosen't seem worried about it. I never knew how that girl could keep a straight face. I surely can't. In the heavy smoke filled air in front of me, I see a large figure running towards us.

"Tris! Christina?" It sounds like Tobias's voice. I feel a small glint of hope in me that he found something. Something that can help us find out who set up the bomb.

"Over here!" We shout. As he get's closer, I see that he is carrying a body on his sholders. Caleb. I rush over to him and he sets Caleb down on the dirt floor. Caleb's face is full of cuts and gashes that spread down to his neck. Tears whelm up in my eyes. I bend down and kneel next to him. He's still breathing but barely. Tobias is standing behind me. I look up at him and ask him a question.

"What happened to him? Where....where did you find him?" I start choking on my own breath.

"He was in my mothers office of where she works. I'm not sure why he was there. I think my mother is out to do something and I'm not sure I like it." He himself has tears in his eyes. Here was his chance to have a new start with his mother and she blew it. I feel bad for him. I reach up to him and throw my arms around him, letting the tears roll down my face as I sink my head into his sholder. I kiss him and tell him its all right.

"Tris," Caleb starts choking on his words.

"Yeah." The rush of warm tears melt down my cheeks. Ashes making my face dirty but the tears leaving streaks from where they fall.

"Evelyn.... has the.... revival serum. She's out to .... destroy it." His breaths are even shorter now.

Tobias can't bare to stand here any more and says that he will be in the car. I nod to him. Christina is still by my side.

"I love you.... Tris. Stay ... brave." Just like that, he dies. His eyes roll back into his head and he lies motionless on the dirt. Christina rubs my back comforting me. I leave his body right where Tobias set him down and walk with Christina to the truck.

I don't say anything to her as we walk back. I'm emotionally exhausted and need quite time so I can think. My brain is running a mile a minute. I feel light headed. She gets into the back seat of the truck and I sit upfront with Tobias. I tightly rap my hand around his hand giving me a sence of security. We drive back to Tobias's house and Christina, Tobias, and I say nothing on our way to the house.