Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Jessica soon comes back around to the hospital an hour later to pick us up. She brings Christina and Gunner with her as they tag along in the back seat of the truck. The bitter cold of the wind is gone but leaves a slight breeze in the air that whips a strand of hair into my face. 

“So, is it a boy or a girl Tris?” Asks Christina first before Jessica can even speak. But Christina has an odd tone in her voice that makes me wonder. 

“It’s a boy.” I say nodding. “We decided on the name Andrew, after my father.” 

“Andrew? Andrew Prior?” Asks Jessica surprised by the name. 

“Yes, my father. You knew him?”

“Not really,no. But I have heard of some things about him from some of the Erudite papers that I’ve seen only very few of. He was from Abnegation I believe?”

“Yes. He was one of the leaders there along with his father.” I look a Tobias who sits next to me in the truck, his face blank. 

“Oh, so your father worked along side Marcus, right Tris?"

“Uh, yeah.” I don’t want to give anything away for Tobias such as information that is only to be his. But he seems okay with it.

“I was his son.” Says Tobias in a low voice. “Call me Tobias for now on.” Jessica’s expressions slowly fades from a smile to a frown as I think by what she read in the news articles that she knows who Tobias Eaton is and how his life was treated.

“Okay, I will then.” She says. 

We travel to the hotel in silence, or at least I thought we were going to the hotel. We seem to be passing it as Jessica keeps driving on. 

“Uh, Jessica. I think you missed the hotel.”

Tobias touches my knee. “No Tris, we need to move on. We all discussed it earlier this morning but we didn’t want to worry you.”

“Why now! I thought were supposed to leave in a few more days.” 

Christina begins to talk. “We believe that the sooner we leave the better chance we would have getting there before the backup comes later on.” I push Tobias’s hand from my knee and say, “Well thanks for letting me know sooner.” My voice fills with sarcasm as I speak with a mock tone. No one comments after that. Another few miles of silence and I have no idea where we’re at. I look back and see city in the far distance getting smaller and smaller. Nothing surrounds us where we are now and the smooth road turns into a bumpy ride as we begin to drive on the grass. Soon I realize where we are and it’s where we first met Jessica, out in the field of tall, muddy grass. We’re taking the train back into the chaos of Chicago. 

I had to realise it at somepoint that we were going to leave. I even suggested that we leave as soon as we possibly can. I just hadn't taken this whole situation into accout with everything being thrown at my face all in one day. 

Jessica puts the car in park and says that Chris is to meet us here at this location. It's not much of a location to stop at since really we are surrounded by an empty field. My head has been hurting ever since I left the hospital and I didn't want to bother with telling anyone so I just lay my head against Tobias's shoulder without a word. 

Moments later, Chris comes around in a car that has "police" written on it. We all get out of the car and my head pounds in pain but I still don't mention anything to anyone. 

"I brought some guns along. Oh yeah, and I found some sort of a serum in the back of the lab back at headquaters. I'm not sure what it does though." Says Chris. Christina takes a vile and looks at it. The serum has a dark green color to it and it makes me wonder what it does.