Chapter 14

Chapter 14

My eyes see a dimness of light as the crack open. I'm still in the same, white room that Tobias and I were forced into. My heart sinks. I feel my hand being held and my head against something warm. Slightly, I turn my head. It's Tobias. He reasting, with his back against the wall and head slumped down to his shoulder. I feel a bit of strength to motion myself up.

Tobias notices that I woke up.

"You okay?" He mumbles. "Yeah, I guess so." I say. "You passed out and I was worried about you." He turns and looks at me.

"One of the guards came in and said that they would be coming to get us any minute. I'm not sure where though." It's scary for me not to know what's going to happen next. My hands aren't as numb anymore and I'm starting to regain feeling back in them. Good, because I might need them later for my self-defence. I need to be able to protect myself at all times. Something hard is in my back pocket. I reach out into my pocket and pull out the jumble of keys, the ones we got from Peter. I show Tobias and he smiles. I smile too and show hope within me. "We need to keep those hidden." Says Tobias. I put the keys back in my pocket. Tobias helps me to stand on my feet. I'm able to walk around a little bit so that I can get the blood moving in me. It's hard to believe that so much can happen in three weeks. But it's okay. As long as I am still on this Earth with Tobias, nothing in me seems to care anymore.

The door to the room squeels open and in comes a guard.

"Let's go." He says in a deep, meaningless tone.

Tobias nods to me saying that we should follow the man.

I want to run away now that I can see a clear shot at the exit door. If I do run, I might get shot considering that the only weapon I have are my bare hands. We pass the exit door and enter a double door. The guard leads us into another room. The room has no windows or cameras. Two chairs settle in the middle of the room, a desk in front of it. A chair behind the desk faces away from us. We are forced to be seated. The guard leaves the room without a word. I look at Tobias, with my eyes serching his. I'm scared and don't know what to expect.

The chair behind the desk slowly turns around and once I see her face, the hairs on the back of my neck stand.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" It's Evelyn. The one woman in Chicago who hates me. She moves her eyes from Tobias to mine and stays staring into my eyes. She has an evil smile on her face that makes me want to jump over the desk and rip it off her. We need answers first. We must find out what her plot is.

"How could you betray everyone? Me!" Tobias yells, redness filling up his face.

"It was quite simple actually." She said. "Once I saw you with the anti-memory serum, I thought that I could use it to my advantage. I hired a few spies and set them out to find you, Tobias. I wanted to see what you were up to and if you would come across any other useful serums that I would be able to use for my...for my plot." She still has that evil smerk on her face.

I burst out before Tobias can.

"I knew you were going to create a plot! I knew it." Anger infuriates me.

"Well if you knew than you would most likely know that I contain the Revival serum." She says. "My Erudite team made multiples of the anti-memory serum and used it to save some of us before they got brain washed."

"You said that you would never become another Jennine Matthews, but you lied! You did become her!" Tobias yells.

Evelyn continues talking, ignoring his comment.

"No Tobias, you lied to me." She says, shifting her eyes to his. Tobias looks confused.

"In what way?" He says.

Evelyn looks back at me.

"Her."

She refers to me.

I look at Tobias but he doesn't look at me. I scowl at her.

"You told me you broke up with her."She says, giving me the evil eye.

"He only said that so he could protect me from you!" I say. I stand up, planting my feet on the ground.

"Why do you hate me?" I said.

"You're simply too dangerous and smart and your Divergence can hurt people." She says calmly as if nothings wrong with the way she is.

"My Divergence has nothing to do with anyone or anything. The only one hurting people is you!" I speak the truth and nothing but the truth.

"Maybe if I slap some sence into you then you will understand!" I scream so loud that one of the guards pushes in through the door. Tobias guides me down before the guard does. The guard doesn't leave but just stands idely behind me. "We would let you go but we don't think you can be trusted." She says, still smirking.

"We plan on making new serums with the two serums that you two provided us." She looks down at me a notices the silver ring on my finger that I've been twisting the whole time.

"What is this I see here on your finger?" She says, saying it optimistically. I scowl at her.

"It's none if your buisness." From the corner of my eye I can see that Tobias is glancing at me.

"Tobias," She says, "I would like to speak to you in private." I turn to look at Tobias and he nods at her.

"Take this little girl back to the cell." Great, now I'm a little girl. I clench my fists and grit my teeth. The guard reeks of cigarette smoke. He takes my sholder and I pull back from him.

"I'm capable of taking myself back." I say in a low voice. The guard opens the cell and I enter. The door slams shut.

I sit in one of the chairs in the room and fidget with my ring. What is she saying to him? Whats going to happen? Fustration builds up inside of me.

It's not long before Tobias gets back. It's clear that he's obviously mad.

"I hate her!" He screams.

"What is it? What did she say?" He doesn't seem like he wants to talk right now but I really have to know.

"She found out that you're my fiancè and now she wants me to break up with you or else..." He stops and yells.

"Or else what?" I say.

"Or else... she'll kill you."