Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Morning in Chicago seems so beautiful. The birds are chirping and snow is glistening on the ground. To me, it's nothing special. Nothing is special when you know someones after you to kill you. Tobias isn't in the room right now. It worries me to know where he might be. I get up from the bed and shut the curtains from the blinding sun. A shiver of cold runs through me.

My jacket I never took off the night before hugs my body. I feel like I haven't taken a shower in weeks and it would be best to take one now since I have the time. I grab some clean clothes from the suitcase and walk over to the bathroom. When I place my clothes on the counter, I notice a little, yellow note taped onto the mirror. It's from Tobias. I take the note from the mirror and it reads:

Went out to get food. Will be back soon.

-Tobias

Well that explains where he went. I strip down and enter the shower. The warm water seeps down onto my skin and stings a little when the water hits my bruises. The bruise on my thigh from where the guard kicked me turned dark purple. To my surprise, that bruise doesn't hurt. I take a long shower knowing that it might be the last one I'll have in a while. I heard a door open. That could be Tobias. I turn off the water and quickly get changed. I don't bother drying off my hair so it leaves drip marks along my shirt. When I walk out of the bathroom I don't see anyone.

"Hello?" I say, hoping to hear Tobias's voice.

I hear nothing.

"Hello?" This time I say it a little louder. Nothing. I could of swore I heard the door open. I grab Tobias's gun off the small table by the bathroom and put it under my shirt. Just to be safe. Maybe I'm just hearing things. I forget about it and walk towards the room door so that I can go find Tobias. As I move to the door, I feel a strong hand wrap around my mouth and then someone else puting a blindfold around my eyes. Panic rushes through my veins and I feel the persons hand press deeper against my mouth. I bite down on the hand and then I hear a scream from the person. It sounds like a mans voice. He releases his grip on me and I break free. I'm still blind from the blindfold and I can't get it off my face because it was put on tightly. I don't know what to reach for first, my gun or the blindfold. Gun shots go off but this time I'm still fighting to protect myself. I don't feel hurt which I think would be a good thing. Who shot who then? I hear heavy foot steps running towards me. I use my best judgement from where the steps are coming from and throw a punch. I hit nothing but air, but something hits me. One of the intruders punch me hard in face and I fall to the ground. Still blinded I feel something warm come down my face and realize that my nose is bleeding. I want to keep fighting but the throbing in my head is too much. More gunshots go off. Is this it? Is this the end? No it can't be I have to get up and try. I moan as I attempt to get up. A fimilar voice echos around me.

"Stay down Tris!" It's Christina. Some relief passes through me. How did she know what was going on? My attempt to get up fails and my dizzyness makes me fall to the ground. A few more shots go off and then silence. I lay against the wall with my head on the floor.

"Tris! You okay?" Christina is still alive. She saved me. Her voice seems tence and unsteady.

"I... I think so." I said, mumbling the words. She unwraps the blindfold from my face and black dots cover my vision.

She helps me to my feet. Everything seems to be spinning and the black dots in my vision are replaced with a hazy view. The gun still remains in my back pocket. Oh no, Tobias.

"Christina! Wheres Tobias! Is he safe?" My voice is tence. I don't want to fear the worst.

"He called me and told me to stop by and watch you so that nothing bad would happen to you while he was out getting food. I don't know if he's okay though. Sorry Tris." I don't cry. I don't need to cry because I'm sure that he's okay. Maybe.