Chapter 15

Chapter 15

I pace back and forth in the cell.

"Tobias, when are we getting out of this place? We have keys." I say. He looks tired and stressed.

"Any minute Tris. I just need to gather my thoughts. I can't believe she wants to kill you." He scowls at the thought.

"I will never break up with you. Not now and not ever." He says. I walk over to where he's standing. I grab his hand and kiss him on the lips. The comfort of knowing that he will never let go of me brings me a warm feeling to my heart.

"Lets go." He says and then kisses me lightly on the cheek. I let go of his hand and search my pocket for the keys. As I walk over to the door, my stomach starts to hurt and the pain is even more trumendous than the last one. It happends so quickly that I can't even prepare myself for it.

"Ahh." I fall to my knees and put my arm around my stomach. Tobias holds on to my other hand.

"You're fine Tris. It's okay." He already knows whats going on. As fast as the pain comes through, it's gone.

"I'm fine now I think." I stammer to my feet.

"Wait, Tobias," I say, "did you tell Evelyn that I was pregnant?"

"No. That's one of the things she asked me about but I kept on replying no." He said.

"I don't think it's going to matter if she's going to kill me anyway."

He grabs my arms and looks deep into my eyes.

"I won't let her lay a finger on you. I promise." I wrap my arms around him and burrie my face into his shoulder.

When I let go of him, I pick up the keys that I dropped and put them in the door. It clicks open. I peek my head outside and no ones around. I motion Tobias over and he runs out of the room first. We lightly jog across the hall. In the far distance of the hall, I can see a sign that says exit. Tobias runs to it and I follow him. Before he can open the large, gray door, a gun goes off. Tobias stays frozen in place. I turn to look at him but he would have fallen by now if he got shot. The bullet missed him by inches and hit the wall instead. A guard has spotted us and is running towards me.

"I got this." I say to Tobias. I have no weapon but I'm pretty sure I'm capable of knocking down the guard. I want to be free from this place. Free like the ravens. Free with Tobias. I grab the guards arm as he tries to throw me a punch but misses and thats when I twist his arm behind his back and he yelps in pain. He falls to the ground and I make sure he doesn't get back up. Quickly, I grab the gun from his hand And run with Tobias. Finaly, free.The outside air hits me in the face with it's coldness. I don't mind this time, I just want to leave this place.

"I'm surprised that only one guard went after us." I said.

"Don't keep your hopes up, there could be more coming if we don't hurry to the truck." He grabs my hand and sprints to the part of town where the truck was last left. The city is unusually quite. Something must be up. He lets go of my hand and sprints even faster. With every step I take, coldness nips through my shoes and stings my feet. I don't care. I run faster untill finaly, we reach the truck. I swing open the door to the truck, get in and slam it quickly. Why we were running so fast from nothing, I have no clue. Tobias's face is pale from the winter cold and with every breath he takes, a fog appears.

"Tris... you got the car keys?"

"Yeah, here." I hand him the keys and he turns on the car. I blast on the heat and lock the doors. We sit for a minute in silence. I place my hands in front of the air vent and let the heat bring feeling back into them.

"We have to go back to the hotel." He said.

"Then we better leave now." I lay back into the seat and close my eyes. I don't want to think about what Evelyn chose to do to me. Or what she did to my brother. I just want life to be peaceful. Nothing like that will ever happen though.

It's dark outside and snow begins to fall and patter on the trucks roof.

"Tobias," I said, "do you think life will ever be peaceful?" He turns his head to look at me.

"I'm sure that one day, it might. Sometimes I feel like it's never going to happen. I don't know what to believe anymore." He then turns back and keeps his eyes on the slick road. We reach the hotel and some lights are lit in the rooms windows.

I place my jacket hood over my head and step outside. I hurry fast to get inside. Once we arive at the top floor of the hotel, my body feels weak and tired. I need to rest. Our room looks the same as we last left it. Without even changing, I fly into bed. Tobias starts talking to me but I zone out. It's too late because sleep passes over me.