Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I awake to Tobias still laying in bed next to me. He's awake but looking up infront of me. His blank stare scares me.

"What are you looking at?" I say. I feel stupid for asking that question becuse clearly he's looking at nothing but a white wall.

"Oh, nothing.... just trying to piece together my plan." He still looks at the wall. "Well, what do you have so far?" I yawn, my eyes still half closed.

"Well as far as I know, Evelyn is working with what I think were the Erudite and the factionless. Well, what was left of them. Apperently the Erudite u

formed their own anti-memory serum so some of them were uneffected by the memory serum you released. Evelyn was in high control of that group." Tobias's face sits with a little more expression. It's not a very happy expression.

"She lied to me." Tobias said. "She said she would never become another Jennine. She told me that she cared. She doesn't care though. In fact, I don't see her as a mother to me anymore. I won't fall for anything else that she says." I open my eyes a little bit more and turn to look at Tobias. "She wanted to take over the Erudite? This isn't good. I knew something was up." My face has no expression now either. Tobias stops his staring and looks me dead in the eye. I feel cold going through me. "Wait! I have a plan."He says. "What's the plan?" I ask, feeling some ray of hope.

"Tris, I know where we have to go. We have to break through the Erudite compound. There might be guards by the entrence of the compound so we have to go in from... above." He chokes on the word "above". Buildings are made close together so it should be easy to jump across them. I can already tell that Tobias is going to have problems with his plan.

He continues," We must run on top of the bulidings and jump onto the main building. That's where we would need one of the guards keys to open the main Erudite door. Tris, thats when you would come down and get the keys from them." I nod and agree. "We break through the door and thats when I would tell the guards inside that I am the... the son of... Evelyn." He hates his mother because his fists start to clench up by his side. "Tobias, what if they catch you and don't believe you?" "I don't know but if we do make it pass the guards then we should go straight to Evelyn and get to the bottom of this."

He says. I say, "We should start this plan today. The sooner, the better." He kisses me and wraps his arm around me and says, "We leave at five."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The snow on the road makes it hard for Tobias to steer the truck. Even though the car is wobbling all over the place, he's doing a better job steering than what I could do.

We park the car in a remote looking part of the city. The light is starting to dim through the sky. As I get out of the car, Tobias grabs my wrist. I swiftly turn my head.

"We must stick together at all times. Let's hope nothing bad happens." I reach over and kiss him. I never want to lose him. He's all I've got left.

"Grab your gun. Can't afford to forget it." He says. "I've already got it."I say.

We walk in stealth untill we reach one wide and tall building. There's a black latter in the middle, shooting high up into dark and gloomy sky. I motion Tobias over to the latter. He staggers behind me. I grab onto the first bar of the latter and the cold metal stings my hand. Tobias hasn't said a word now that we are about five stories up. I thought too soon.

"Tris." He whispers. "What?" I whisper back. My hands burn now due to the coldness of the bars.

"I'm getting dizzy."

"Grab onto me." I say. He grabs onto my hip for stability and I push him to go just a few more steps higher. The memory of him and I at the top of the ferris wheel pops into my mind. When he and I were just friends and how I slipped and he saved me. The memory pops out if my head just as fast as it popped in. We reach the top of the building which is a good ten stories up.

Tobias's face is pale and he looks like he's going to pass out.

"Tobias, take a breath for a second." I'm worried about him.

"No, I'll be fine. I just need to hold onto something." He says.

"Here." I nuzzle my hand into his and his hand is no colder than mine.

"We need to jump over this building so that we can pass the gaurds." He says. He squeezes my hand, feeling just a touch of wampth between them when they press together.

"Ready?" I ask. "One.... two.... three!" We sprint to the edge of the building still keeping our hands together. Tobias becomes sluggish and it decreasses our jump speed. We still could make it. We jump high in the cold air and I feel like one of the ravens.Flying high above all my worries and cares. I brace myself for the impact of the fall. The building is lower to the ground but not by much. At least it's eight stories up. I land on both my feet and it sends a shock of pain through my knees. I ignore the pain. Tobias comes up from jumping and he still looks pale but not as bad now. He lets go of my hand.

"That wasn't so bad now was it?" I ask, searching his face for an answer.

"I guess not." He says in a low voice. "Tris, the gards. You have to get their keys. I'll stay up here and gard you from above." I turn my head to where he's pointing to and two guards with semi-small guns walk around the black gate.

"I've got my gun. I'll be fine." I say.

Tobias runs over to the corner of the building and gets down low with his gun proped up on the ledge of an AC unit. Thats when I head out and jump over one more building to get to a point where I'm able to get down and get to the guards. They look simulated because of the way they walk. Their faces stay straight ahead of them, looking into the deep darkness that surrounds them. The only light around is the natural light of the moon. Perfect. It will be easier for them not to see me. Before I make my move, one of the guards stops and starts talking to the other guard next to him. I don't know what their talking about but at least I know that their not under a simulation. The voice sounds like a guys voice. It sounds very fimiliar to me. No matter, I must stick to the plan Tobias and I agreed on. I make my move and go between a break in the wall. I turn my head around the corner of the wall and see that the guards are facing the opposite way I am. Heres my chance. I grasp the trigger of my gun and pull it out of my pocket. Without fear coming over me, I get a good aim at one of the guards. I close my eyes and pull the trigger. My gun goes off. I open my eyes once again and a pool of blood covers the street. I feel my gut twisting inside. The smell of flesh enters my nose. The other guard fumbles for his gun in his belt. I'm running faster towards him. My gun slowly comes up and points at him. It's too late though because he's already got his hand on the trigger. I scramble to put my hand on the ice-cold gun. My hands are numb and I don't know what I'm doing. I panic and my heart races faster.

Someones gun goes off.

It's not my gun. I become stiff, unsure wether the bullet hit me or not, I stop running. I look up and find Tobias relaeasing his gun and then looking down at me. Was he shot? His face, once again, has no expression. I turn my head and look infront if me. No... he shot the guard before the guard shot me.

Tobias comes down from the building in slow, cautious steps. I want to run for him but I can't. I'm still to shocked to believe what happened.

I don't get as tense anymore once Tobias looks at me in a calming way. He's okay.

I'm able to unstiffen myself and walk over to the one bloody guard Tobias shot so that I can get the keys. I roll him over onto his front and I taste bile in my mouth.

"No way." I said in shock.

Tobias walks towards me and looks shocked too.

It's Peter.