CHAPTER TWELVE

Zhan roamed the grocery store withJunior sitting in the cart and Ling Xi following close behind

Junior sitting in the cart and Ling Xi following close behind. The shopping list he had retrieved resembled his handwriting, even though he had no recollection of writing it. It seemed to take forever, but he managed to get everything on his list while keeping both children next to him. As Zhan waited to check out, Ling Xi tugged on his coat.

"Papa, are we still going to Grandma's house?" Ling Xi inquired with a bright smile on her face.

"Sweetie, which grandma?" Zhan loaded the groceries on the conveyer belt.

"Daddy's mom, Papa," Ling Xi replied
handing Zhan the bag of lettuce.

"Oh, well where does Grandma live?"
Zhan asked.

Ling Xi shrugged her shoulders and
Zhan understood it, as she did not know.

Zhan moaned as he paid the cashier. When they approached the SUV, he loaded the trunk with the grocery bags. Then he fastened Ling Xi and Junior in their car seats. After returning the shopping cart, he slid into the driver's seat.

"Are we still going, Papa?" Ling Xi
repeated.

He considered the notion.

"Honey, why don't we take the food home first? Then uh... Papa can figure out how to get to Grandma's."

"Okay," she replied.

Her attention diverted out the window.

Zhan drove in silence since Junior and Ling Xi fell asleep. When he pulled into the driveway, he took the kids inside first. Afterward, he brought in the groceries. As
he unpacked and put away the food, Zhan noticed the answering machine light blinking. He played the message.

"Hey Honey," Yibo's voice greeted.

"I forgot to tell you on my way out. My mom's expecting you to come over today. I'll text you the address since you can never remember how to get there." He chuckled.

"Anyway, I'll see you later. Love you." The machine beeped.

Zhan tapped his fingers on the kitchen counter. I guess I'm going. After reloading the kids inside the car, he followed the directions from his phone to his mother-in-law's. Upon arrival, he beeped the horn. Mrs. Wang came outside in her coat, greeting her with a smile.

"Oh my goodness! I thought you'd never
make it here," Mrs. Wang said cheerfully.

"Let me help with these babies."

Zhan smiled when Mrs. Wang hugged him. It had been a long time since he'd seen her. They both carried the kids inside, with Zhan holding Ling Xi and Mrs. Wang carrying Junior and his diaper bag.

"I am so glad you're here, Zhan,"

Mrs. Wang stated as she rocked Junior back and forth.

"It's good to see you too," Zhan responded smiling.