CHAPTER THREE

Zhan remembered pulling up to Yibo's apartment in her car

Zhan remembered pulling up to Yibo's apartment in her car. He could not wait to see him. He called him to come over because he wanted to tell him some exciting news. He knocked on the apartment door, anticipation running through his veins. His roommate Li answered the door. He looked as if he was leaving.

"Hey Zhan, he's in his room,"

Li said as he walked past him.

Zhan closed the door behind him.

"Yibo," he called out.

"Back here, Babe," Yibo declared.

Zhan entered his bedroom. Yibo was packing up his things in cardboard boxes. When he saw Zhan, he smiled and greeted him with a kiss.

"Is this what you wanted to tell me? You're moving?"

Zhan asked as he removed his coat. He rested on the foot end of his full-size bed.

"Baby, I got a job in Beijing at an advertising firm. It's only part-time since its junior level, but that means I can work on my master's degree. I'll be able to make a decent living as I work my way up,"

Yibo explained. His beaming smile gave him away.

Zhan swallowed hard. He's leaving.

"Beijing? I thought you were planning to stay here. What about your family? What do they think?"

he did not like the way the conversation was going.

"I already talked with my parents. They think I should take it. Sure, they'll miss me, but come on Babe, this is it for me," Yibo responded.

Zhan's shoulders drooped in disappointment.

"Okay. I'll ask the obvious question. What about us?"

Yibo rolled his computer chair forward
and sat in front of him.

"Zhan, you know I love you. Right?"

"Yes."

"I know this is sudden, but I want
this. I've worked hard for this, Zhan."

"I know you have. I know this is your
dream. I just... I thought... I want to be a part of it."

"And I want you to be a part of it."

"Yibo, we've been together for three years. I have to know. What's going to happen with you and me? Is there a future for us?" Zhan wondered.

"There is Zhan. I want you to come with me," Yibo replied.

Zhan furrowed his eyebrows.

"Say what?"

"I want you to come with me," Yibo
repeated.

"Yibo I—"

"You know I couldn't leave without
you. Don't you know that?"

Zhan could feel his heart beating faster. It thudded in his ears. Everything was happening so fast.