e i g t h t e e n

"I don't want to die because a rock fell on me

"I don't want to die because a rock fell on me."

•••

THE GROUP HAD walked for at least two hours before deciding to stop to sleep. Leanne could hardly keep her eyes open when they stopped, and immediately found herself curling up into a ball in the corner of the room they were sleeping in.

They'd walked through countless amounts of buildings, all of which were either empty of filled with trash and mounds of crumbling rubble.

Leanne turns over in her sleep, mumbling incoherent words out loud.

"Stop." She yells. "What we're doing here, Teresa, it isn't right."

"Isn't right?" Teresa raises her eyebrows. "Lea, we watched Mom die from the Flare, and you're telling me that trying to find a cure isn't right?" She yells in return.

"You wouldn't know if she's dead because we left her!" Leanne snaps back.

"She is dead! Every part of her that made her her is dead." Teresa says harshly. "Every ounce of humanity she had is gone." Teresa lowers her voice so it's barely above a whisper. "Our mother is just a crank now. Nothing more."

"That's not true." Leanne shakes her head in denial.

"Grow up!" Teresa yells again. "Open your eyes, Leanne. If she's still out there, she's probably killed people. Innocent people."

"No. We left her locked in that room, Teresa." The brunette shakes her head. "She couldn't have killed anyone."

Teresa sighs. "I think you're more trying to convince yourself of that, not me."

Leanne frowns. "What makes you think that?"

"Because I know you, Leanne. I know you better than you know yourself."

Leanne bolts upright, woken from her sleep by someone lightly shaking her shoulder. She looks up to see Teresa with her hands on her shoulders. "Sorry, you were talking in your sleep." Teresa removes her hands from Leanne's shoulders, and sits beside her with her back pressed up again the wall.

"Did you hear what I was saying?" Leanne studies the look in Teresa's eyes, understanding her. "You remember then?" Teresa nods. "That's why you weren't with us. Because they were returning your memories." Lea's voice is low, so only Teresa can hear. The others look like their sleeping, but Leanne doesn't want to chance it.