t h i r t y t h r e e

"It makes me happy

"It makes me happy."

•••

THE SOOTHING SOUND of crashing waves woke Leanne up. Her eyes peeled open to see Minho sleeping in a chair beside her. She sits up and sees that she's in a small shack. Early morning light seeps in through the cracks in the wood.

She slowly sits up, and reaches over to shake Minho's knee. "Minho, wake up." She whispers hoarsely. His head slowly raises.

He smiles softly at her. "Hey."

She frowns. "Where are we?" She pushes the light sheet off her legs, and looks down at her heavily wrapped ankle.

"We're at the safe-haven, Lea." He smiles. "We made it." Leanne stands up from the bed, wincing lightly, and Minho stands too, pulling her into a tight hug. She sniffles into his shoulder. "Hey, hey, it's okay." He rubs her back soothingly. "It's okay, Lea."

"I wish I could say that for a moment I thought he was still alive, but I can't, Minho. I can't because I can't get it out of my head." She pulls away from him to look up at his face. "Back in the berg, when I loss consciousness, I saw him." She smiles softly. "But I also saw Elliott."

Minho watches her carefully. "You saw her?"

"I was back in the Glade, and everyone who had died was there. Newt, he—" A lump forms in her throat but she swallows it down. "It's like he was the one choking me, killing me —instead of the smoke—." She smiles softly. "But Elliott came up, and she told him to stop."

Minho returns the soft smile. "She's your little guardian angel."

Leanne leans back in for another hug. "She's our guardian angel, Minho." When Leanne pulls away from the hug, she steps outside of the hut. Although it was early in the morning, people bustled around her. "When did we get here?" She frowns.

"Late last night."

"Hey!" Leanne turns around to see Juno making her way down to them. The two girls hug each other tightly.

"You better not pull anything like that off again." Minho warns, smiling at the two girls.

"Well wasn't Juno in the building too?" Leanne responds, turning to Juno. "Why were you in the building?"

"That's a story for another time."

A hand pushes the girls out of the way and Brenda squeezes past them to hug Leanne. It surprises her; the two were never close. Either way, she returns the hug just as tightly. Frypan and Gally hug Leanne, then she looks around at the group. "Where's Thomas?" She frowns.

The group around her silences for a moment. "He's still unconscious." Juno replies quietly.

"Do you want to see him?" Brenda steps forward, offering to take her.