t w e n t y n i n e

"Don't start breaking promises on me now

"Don't start breaking promises on me now."

•••

IT DIDN'T TAKE much longer after they left for Gally to open the vault. "Yes!" He swings the door open beside an excited Leanne.

They were careful to put all of the viles into a bag. Gally holds the bag tightly. "Okay, what's next?" He sighs.

"Put the guards in here." Leanne steps out of the vault. "You guys help him." She waves at some of the kids to help, then moves towards the desk to find a pad of paper and a pen. "I'm going to leave him a little note."

Once they're done, Leanne sets her note down on one of the guards' lap.

"What does it say?" Gally peeks over her shoulder to read it.

You once told me you'd do anything for what you believed in, no matter what.
Well now, I would too.

"And he's going to know it's you?" Gally asks just as sirens begin to blare.

Leanne nods. "Oh trust me, he will."

"Okay. We need to get outta here now." Gally and Leanne both exit the vault and he pushes the door shut. "You stay close to us. Stick together." He stops in front of one of the boys. "You, you guard this with your life. You understand?" The boys nods violently.

"All right. Let's go." Leanne waves for the kids to follow her. She could feel an extra layer of stress on her shoulders because of the kids she was leading. If anything were to happen to anyone she would never be able to live with herself.

As Leanne leads the kids back the way they came, there was one part she dreaded: the stairs. This time, they were going up, and Leanne knew this was going to suck away her energy.

They finally made it to the familiar parking garage where Leanne and Gally had first made their entrance, but they wouldn't be able to hide in plain sight anymore. "Stay low! Stay low!" Gally and Leanne direct the kids out of sight from the guards running around trying to find them.

"Go! Go! Go!" Gally stands moves to the front of the group, beside Leanne. "Brenda, where are you? We're here." Gally says into the walkie-talkie.

Just as Gally says this, a big bus slams on its breaks right in front of their path. A quick wave of panic rushes through Leanne but it's calmed when she realizes it's Brenda. The girls gets out of the bus. "Come on, let's go." Brenda waves the kids forward. The kids file into the bus quickly. "Front and back, front and back."

"Where's everyone else?" Brenda frowns, eyes searching Leanne and Gally for answers.

"I was hoping they were with you." Gally frowns.