t w e n t y t h r e e

"I haven't even slept in a nice bed in so long

"I haven't even slept in a nice bed in so long."

•••

THE WORLD AROUND Leanne slowly begins to grow dark as she sits on the rocks, watching the water hit the side of the boat over and over again. The sound of the waves sooth her, keeping her from unhappy memories. Her mind is blank.

Juno comes to sit on the large rocks beside Leanne. "I'm sorry I didn't come see you earlier." The brunette sighs, shaking her head. "I guess I was just overemotional."

A long silence sits between the two of them, although it's not uncomfortable. Leanne finally breaks that silence. "You like him." She says bluntly.

Juno stutters over her words. "I— well— what?"

Leanne rolls her eyes. "Well you have feelings for Newt."

The brunette nods, turning to look out at the water. "Yeah... I mean... I'm not really trying to stop them anymore." She sighs. "I could say the same about you, though. You like Thomas."

Leanne smiles softly. "I don't like Thomas, June." She takes in a large breath of air before releasing it. "I love him."

Juno turns her head to look at Leanne so quickly she gives herself whiplash. "Are you sure?" Juno frowns, rubbing her neck. "You're not just desperate for love, or something? Cause Newt told me about how you liked a guy named Gally in your Maze and—"

Leanne interrupts her friend quickly. "Urgh of course Newt would tell you." She groans. "Whatever. It's not like that."

"Whatever it's like, you should be careful." June nods. "We've still got a war to fight."

The crunch of someone's footsteps makes both of them quiet down. Their both watch as the figure gets closer, finally close enough for them to realize it's Thomas. Junie gets up, smiling. "I'm going to go see Reese and Kiko."

Leanne watches as the brunette walks away, internally wanting to scream at her to stop and come back. But she doesn't, she sits quietly as Thomas takes June's spot beside her.

"How are you feeling?" He asks her, watching her carefully.

Avoiding the eye contact, Leanne shrugs. "Good."

Thomas shakes his head. He could tell she was lying. That was something that WICKED had taken away from her; she couldn't hide anymore. They peeled back all her layers until she lay there, a gritty personality and a lifeless body. "Don't lie to me." He takes her hand in his. "I want the truth."