n i n e t e e n

"Lady's first

"Lady's first."

•••

AS THEY BEGAN to walk again, Lea felt like she was being watched. Every once in a while, rocks would fall off the rocks from above them. Just small ones, but Leanne was sure it wasn't the wind. Though, she could just be paranoid. She felt like every step she took, someone else followed. Someone like WICKED. They were always so close behind, always following at a distance until they were ready to pounce. It was always unexpected, and it tired Leanne. She wanted to find somewhere safe, so that they could plan and have the element of surprise.

The harsh sun led them all to wearing their blankets as shawls over their heads. It offered some protection, although Minho complained it made him feel like he was going to suffocate. Leanne turned a deaf ear to his complaints though, for some people had it worse, like the people who WICKED had captured. She couldn't help but think of all those people back at Jorge's shelter. They may not have been innocent —because honestly who was innocent during these times— but they didn't deserve what had came their way, because of her and her friends. She wondered if WICKED had killed them, or if they had let them be. Letting them be didn't seem like something the organization would do, and Leanne didn't want to think of the worse situation, but she couldn't live in a fantasy land. Bad things happened in this cruel world and she couldn't turn a blind eye to it. No one could.

They walked for an hour along the mountain trail until Jorge told them to stop. Small piles of burnt earth and wood lay across the small path, almost like people had been lighting fires and sleeping there.

Jorge kneels down and feels the ashes. "It's cold." He shakes his head. "It's been a little while."

"But they were still here." Leanne huffs. "Fuck." She swears under her breath. "We don't want to run into them."

"Well we can't backtrack, that'll loose us another hour and waste the one we just spend walking." June sighs, kicking a pile of dirt beneath her feet.

"But what if we did catch up." Jorge says after a moment of silence. "We could maybe convince them to work with us."

"Work with us?" Minho exclaims. "Now you're sounding even more crazy than usual."

Teresa steps forward. "But think about it. If we do, we could probably convince them by saying we could take them to the Right Arm."

"Sounds like a plan!" Jorge smiles, getting ready to move again.

"Woah, woah, woah! A half-cocked plan!" Leanne frowns. "What if they don't believe us. What do we do then?"

Jorge grins towards the girl. "We figure it out then." Leanne stands in her place, not convinced. "Hermana, I've got a plan. There's just a small gap in that plan, which is where we run into those women."