s i x

"Have you come to lecture me?"

•••

WITHOUT EVEN HAVING to explain why they were going into the Maze, Leanne had agreed to go with them. Minho had sought her out first, knowing she'd take any chance she had to go into the Maze.

So now, she found herself walking alongside Winston, Frypan, Minho and Zart through the woods to the Runners hut she'd never been allowed in. Minho has deemed her too clumsy, saying she'd break anything and everything inside if she came in.

They approach the wooden hut to find Thomas standing outside of it. "Will this be enough?" Minho asks the boy, who's turned to face them.

He stands there for a second before nodding. "Okay. Let's go."

Keeping up with them effortlessly, Leanne jogs alongside the five boys as they cross the Glade.

They follow Minho into the Maze, and Leanne's heart beats in excitement. She hasn't been in the Maze for so long, so she's happy Minho came to her. "Come on!" He says, encouraging them.

Frypan stops running for a second and Leanne grabs his arm, dragging him along as she jogs forwards. "You don't want to get lost, Fry." She tells him, making him run with her without having to be pulled.

They run past an opening on their right, and Minho stops, making them all stop behind him. They turn down the passage, and Leanne sees the metal legs she'd once gotten a glance of so long ago sticking out of a closed wall, stuck in between a gap.

"That's disgusting." Zart says, standing beside Leanne. They look closely at the dead Griever.

"There's something in there." Thomas says, stepping forward.

"You mean besides a Griever pancake?" Frypan asks sarcastically.

They all look at it, not making a move until Leanne walks up to it. "Whoa, what're you doing?" Zart asks quickly.

Leanne turns to look at the five boys, who're watching her like she's crazy. She turns back towards the Griever and and raises her hand. Slowly, she puts her hand into the gap between the walls, and just touches the Griever when it moves its legs forwards. She lets out a short scream, jumping back and being caught by Thomas before she can slip to the ground.

"I thought you said it was dead!" Frypan says accusingly, not taking his eyes off the mechanical monster.

"Was it a reflex?" Zart asks as Leanne pulls herself away from Thomas.