t w e n t y e i g h t

"No sacrifices

"No sacrifices. Not tonight."

•••

LEANNE SAT IN silence, watching the people around her. She nervously awaited her turn for Teresa to take the chip out. Juno had gotten hers out first, not speaking at all to Teresa. Then, she was speaking to Newt before hugging Leanne and leaving with Jorge. They were going to get an important piece of their finale escape plan.

Leanne had chosen to be one of the last to go. She anxiously practiced what she wanted to say to Teresa in her head, although she couldn't decide what exactly she would go with.

"Leanne. It's your turn." Newt nods towards Teresa. She gets up and makes her way towards Teresa. Her heart pounds in her ears as she sits in front of her, with her back to the girl so she can take out the tag.

"Hi." Teresa says softly as she picks the scalpel up. "How have you been?"

A sharp stinging erupts at the back of her neck. "How have I been?" She almost wants to turn around and face Teresa, but holds herself from worsening things. "You mean since you turned us in to WICKED and I got experimented on?" Leanne says sarcastically. "Oh, pretty good."

Teresa cuts a little deeper. "I'm not joking." She sighs. "I was worried about you, Isla."

Leanne jerks away from her sister quickly and turns to face her. "Don't you dare call me that with them around, Deedee." She whispers harshly. "I haven't told them anything yet."

"Oh, so even six months after everything they don't know?" Teresa snarls back. "What, are you ashamed of me?"

"No, actually." Leanne answers with a sarcastic tone to her voice. "I actually wasn't with them until a couple days ago, so it's been kind of a whirlwind. I haven't found the time." Leanne turns back around so Teresa can continue her work.

"I never meant for you to get caught." She mumbles quietly.

"Well you gave WICKED that chance when you told them our location." Leanne winces, then pulls away when she feel Teresa take the little device out.

"People are dying. Kids are dying." Teresa watches as Leanne stands up, taking a few steps away. "I don't want anyone else to go through what we had to go through."

"Even if that means putting us through even more shit?" Leanne watches Teresa frown and look down in her lap. She ends the conversation there, walking away from the girl before the conversation picked up even more. The mention of their mother was enough to bring tears or to bring anger, and Leanne wasn't in the mood for either.

"Here. See if these fit." Newt throws a pair pants at Leanne, then over at Frypan and Gally.

"I doubt they will." Leanne mumbles.

Frypan rolls his eyes. "Just roll the waist up so they don't fall down." He says teasingly.

Leanne sticks her tong out at him. "Whatever." She slips around a corner and sighs. She shrugs out of her pants and into the uniform pants, rolling the waistband like Frypan had teased. She didn't want them to fall off when she was running from armed men.