e p i l o g u e

twelve years later

twelve years later.

This wasn't supposed to be happening. Not now, and if you'd asked Thomas, not ever. Ten years ago, they were still fighting people trying to revive WICKED.

This wasn't a part of the plan. This didn't add up with all of their calculations, and this certainly made things harder for Thomas. Then again, when had their lives ever been easy?

He had been out for a supply run with Minho when it happened. He was driving, they were talking about the reparations they needed to make to the community's hall, and Vince's voice crackled over the walkie-talkie they always kept on.

It's happening.

Once the words were spoken, Thomas swung the car around so quickly Minho was sure they would flip over. However, even when he warned Thomas about his speed, the boy -well; man, now- did not slow down. In fact, he sped up instead. They had only been driving for twenty at the most, so at this speed Thomas could cut their return in half.

The car wasn't even fully stopped when he threw his door open and jumped out, ignoring Minho's yells and frantic movements to grab the steering wheel.

The people he passed offered him pitiful smiles, whilst others just shook their heads and went back to work. Whatever their reaction, they all felt bad for Thomas. Well, part of them felt bad.

As he neared the area where all their huts were placed, there were less and less people, until their was none. Thomas could hear Minho speaking to him from behind, but couldn't make out what the man was saying. The blood pumped through his veins quickly, pounding against his skull loudly as he ran. Then, his heart nearly stopped in his chest when he caught sight of the crowd that had formed outside the door of his hut. The view was almost too familiar; Leanne's screams, their friends crowding the door. It reminded him of the night she had gotten the majority of her memories back, when they were in the Glade.

But they were far from the Glade, and Leanne wasn't getting her memories back, she was about to make new ones.

People made a path for him, watching as he stepped up and closer to the cabin. He hesitated -noticeable to all of them- before pushing the door open. From the doorway, he could tell immediately that she was a sight for sore eyes.

Her hair was matted down with sweat, dirt was swiped on her cheeks and he was sure there would be some caked under her nails; she had been working in the garden again. Behind his back.

A cry left her lips and Thomas winced. He hated seeing her in pain. But, he couldn't stand there forever, and he was broken from his stupor when Kate McDonnell called his name softly.