t h i r t y o n e

"Take my hand

"Take my hand."

•••

IGNORING THE PLEADING cries of her friends to stay put, Leanne ran into the glass building without second thought. She moved before her mind could comprehend what she was doing; not that it mattered. She would always go after Thomas.

She runs towards a set of glass doors. Before she can push them open, she catches a flash of herself in the glass pane and winces; her brown hair was matter down and greasy, her lips and chin were covered in whatever black substance had been falling from Newt's lips moments earlier, her nails were caked with dirt and blood, and her hands and shirt were covered in crimson blood that she would surely never be able to scrub away.

God, they really did need showers.

She finds a doorway to the stairwell and begins to run up; she wouldn't stop now. Her legs pumped quicker than ever, taking the steps two at a time without tire.

The sound of gunshots alarms Leanne as she runs up the stairs. Dust falls from the upper levels as the building shakes. Leanne listens for the sound of more gunshots, then stops when she thinks she's on the right floor. Raising the metal bar she had found laying on the ground, Leanne walks through the halls quickly. As she turns a corner, she spots Janson standing with a gun raised. Walking forward quietly, Leanne approaches Janson from the side. Down the hall she can see Thomas and Teresa running. As Janson loads his gun Leanne swings the bar quickly. "Fuck you, Janson!" She yells. But he's able to shoot a couple of times before he falls to the ground. Leanne watches him groan in pain, then turns to run in the same direction as Thomas and Teresa. Before she can get a couple steps away, Janson grabs onto her ankle and pulls her down, making her slam her chin onto the ground. It's her turn to groan in pain. She looks up to see her metal bar a couple feet away. She tries to push herself towards it but Janson clicks his tong.

"I wouldn't try that." She turns to look at him just in time to see him bring his foot down on Leanne's ankle —the same one she sprained in the Maze—. A loud crack resonates through the room and Leanne screams in pain. Behind Janson, outside, another bomb is launched at the building. When it hits, Janson falls to the ground. Leanne takes this chance to pull herself up and limp in the direction Thomas and Teresa had ran in.

She turns into the laboratory where they're hiding. "Teresa? Thomas?" She whispers. "It's me, Leanne."

Teresa stands up from behind a counter. "Over here!" She crouches back down and Leanne makes her way over, gasping when she sees Thomas.

His shirt is soaked with blood and he's shaking in pain. "Oh my god." She exhales, dropping down beside him. "We need to put pressure on it." Leanne doesn't hesitate to press her hands on it, earning a groan from Thomas. "Teresa, you need to find some bandages, or a cloth." Leanne nods to the drawers around them. "Anything we can use to put more pressure on it."