t e n

"Just hang on

"Just hang on."

•••

SOME PEOPLE REGRET things the second after making their choice, and other don't. Some people regret it later, and some never. Leanne couldn't come to terms with what she felt. She couldn't regret something she was never going to do, because she was never going to go with the group of people who left. No, she was planning on convincing Gally to go with her, when her ankle was healed. Of course, time wasn't on her side.

After the group had left, Gally had stormed to the Council Hall. He'd been in there alone for a couple minutes before Leanne decided to go see him.

"Hey," She stood in the doorway of the circular hut, watching him cautiously. Gally was sitting on one of the benches in the room. "Are you okay?"

Sighing, Gally ran his hands over his face. "I think I've messed up, Lea." He rests his head in his hands, and elbows on his knees. "I really messed up this time."

Leanne walks over to sit beside him, resting a hand on his arm. "Explain to me why you think you messed up."

Gally raises his head from his hands, and she finally gets a good look at his red rimmed eyes. "The people who left were my friends," He looks away from her and towards the door. "And I let them go on their own. I should've gone with them." He shakes his head. "But then I would've been leaving you behind."

Sighing, Leanne looks down at her lap. She was in conflict, because she felt like she was letting people down. She felt sad, because she felt like she was holding Gally back. He wanted to go. He wanted to leave with everyone else, for once. "You weren't wrong, you know." Leane says suddenly. Gally frowns, confused. "About leaving. The world out there is dangerous." And so, Leanne made the choice to come clean. She was completely honest with him, admitting that she remembered everything. It wasn't easy, and Gally had questions, but she made sure to make it quick. "It doesn't matter, how the world is out there." She wobbles to a standing position. "Let's go catch up with them." Holding out her hand towards him, Gally looks up at her hand, then to her face. He grabs onto her hand, and drags her out to where the other Gladers sit.

"What are you shanks doing?" Dan asks from the group of boys.

"Listen up," Leanne hops forward. "We're going to catch up with the others. If any of you want to come, then you're free to come."

"So you weren't going to go and now you are?" One of the boys asks loudly from behind Dan.

"Yes." Gally says loudly enough for all of them to hear him. "It probably doesn't make a lot of sense, but we are. It's dangerous everywhere, so why get picked off one by one here when we can fight back?" He asks theoretically. "In the end, we're going to run out of food and all of our supplies. Might as well go now with everyone else."