Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I stepped through the portal home, and I breathed in the warm air of hell. I started walking to my room, ready to fall into a wonderfully blissful sleep, when I noticed that my brothers weren't surrounding me and telling me how much they didn't like Angelo or did like him.

They were nowhere to be seen.

I went to my room and they still weren't there.

Weird. I thought. But then I shrugged and undressed for bed.

When I came out of the bathroom my brothers still hadn't come.

I crawled in bed and pushed it out of my mind, the day had been wonderful despite the watching eyes of my brothers, I was able to relax in the arms of Angelo.

Maybe everything would be okay.

* * * *

I spent the morning with my sisters, telling them about my night before and practicing my skills at fire

Glacien again, stayed away.

Sometime after noon I stepped into the cemetery and was enveloped in a hug and a kiss from Angelo.

He pulled away and looked at me, curling my straitened black hair behind my ear, "You're so beautiful parjarita." He said. "Like a candle flame. Small and delicate, yet bright and pure as any star."

I buried my face in his neck as I blushed, and I felt guilt seep through me as I thought about how I was not as pure as he cared to think of me.

"I missed you this morning," he said, smoothing my hair. "You worried me a bit by wandering home alone."

I chuckled, "You worry too much."

Angelo pulled away and flicked my nose up. "I worry just enough, chica." Then he kissed my nose and put his arm around me as he steered me out of the cemetery.

"What's the adventure for today?" I asked.

Angelo laughed and rubbed my shoulder. "Aren't your brothers coming to meet me today?"

I shrugged. "I thought so, but I didn't see them this morning. We might see them later."

Angelo grinned. "Well, that just gives me more time alone with you. I brought my guitar and found a sunny spot on the beach, it's supposed to be nice and calm today, I figured a day of relaxation would be perfect."

I snuggled into his arm as we walked. "That sounds lovely."

We sat on the beach and I watched the waves. Pure, crystal blue waves crashed one over the top of the other onto the buttery, golden sand. The foam rising and frothing to look like a stampede of horses running together in the freedom of the wild stallions of the plains.

Then I heard the strum of a sound like butter and cinnamon. I turned around to see Angelo with a guitar in his lap, his fingers playing with the strings creating the beautiful sounds.

I closed my eyes as I listened to the music. Music was one of the only things that made me feel remotely human. My brothers and sisters didn't understand my affliction with music, but the indulged me because they loved me.

This music, it wasn't mariachi, it wasn't like an orchestra, it wasn't rock and roll or country like those songs in America.

This was soft and smooth, it moved you gently like the waves of this Brazilian shore. I started humming a tune that I knew went with it. "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" that song was usually played with a ukulele, but the guitar made the chords sound deeper and smoother.