Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Getting out of hell was hard, only those with the blood of the devil could use the Ring Gate. Getting back is easy though. All you had to do was close your eyes and say diabolum ducere, which means 'devil take me'.

I ran through the graveyard and far into the trees, making sure that Angelo couldn't see me. Once I was sure he was out if sight, I stopped and caught my breath.

"Diabolum ducere." I whispered and the world rippled around me and I was standing in the main hall next to the ring gate.

I sighed with relief and daydreamed about Angelo as I walked back to my room. He was amazing, kind, funny, he did trick me into eating cold food which was horrid, but he was human. He couldn't know that ingesting cold food makes me sick.

My stomach gurgled. Yup, gonna need to get rid of that. I thought to myself. The process of making myself purge food from my stomach is not pleasant. I don't need food to survive, nor drink. But eating food is not unpleasant. The favors were wonderful. That ice cream was too sweet, and cold. It's too much for my system to handle.

Angelo. My tall dark traveler. He lied when he said he was from Puerto Rico, that much I knew, but he meant it when he said he traveled a lot. He seemed to be good at detecting lies, which surprised me. No one can ever get through my lies. Aside from Papa, but even with Papa I can get away with half truths.

But this man knew I was lying the moment the false words left my mouth.

That's going to be a problem. I thought as I turned down my hall.

Why did I agree to see him again? I scolded myself. This will only end badly, either way you will lose him. Papa could find out and he will kill Angelo without a thought. My brothers might think about it but they would kill him just for touching me. The best scenario is that no one finds out and he grows old and dies, while I stay young.

I shuddered at the thought of the worst scenario. What if he finds out who I really am and then I have to kill him? No. That will never happen. I've been walking among the humans for 32 years, he won't find out.

I opened my door, ready to fall into bed and sleep the night away, but I forgot about three things.

My brothers.

I was grabbed and pulled inside and crushed in a hug by a blubbering Errol as Edmund slammed the door behind me.

"Where in Hell were you?!" Erik roared, his eyes blazing.

I rolled my eyes. "I wasn't in Hell, I was on earth."

Edmund grabbed my arm and yanked me away from Errol. "Don't get smart with us Evelyn." He growled in my face.

"We were worried sick!" Errol cried. His carefully primped appearance was a total wreck. He pushed Edmund away and patted my face and my arms. "Are you hurt? Were you kidnapped? Did you get lost?"

"And if one of those aren't your answers then you better have a damn good reason for disappearing like that." Erik snarled.

I sighed. "No I'm not hurt, I wasn't kidnapped, and I didn't get lost. Do you really think I would let myself be kidnapped by some pathetic human?" I held out my hand and the glowing red flames of hell parked and lit like a mini bonfire on my palm. The flames licked at my fingers like old friends.

I grinned at my fiery pets then glared at my brothers. "I was dancing and I got shoved away from the crowd, then I took a walk and lost track of time. I thought you three had more faith in me. I'm not helpless." I closed my hand putting out the flames.