Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Angelo and I spent the day cuddling, kissing and watching movies. Angelo had never been able to watch movies so he found it fascinating, and I showed him all of my favorites. The Princess Bride, The Neverending Story, Stand By Me, Ever After, and The Karate Kid. There were many others I had on our movie list including Lord of The Rings, Star Wars, and many other classics. But there are not enough hours in the day to watch so many wonderful movies.

Around sunset, we dragged ourselves out of the adorable house and went to the beach, we played in the water for maybe an hour before watching the sun sink into the horizon, sending bright colors across the sky.

"I love you, Angelo." I said as I watched the sunset, his arms were wrapped around me and his chin rested on my head as I leaned into his chest.

He kissed my hair. "And I love you, my darling Eve."

We walked back to the house, hand in hand, I had never been happier in my whole life.

Then I saw something on the doormat.

"What's this?" Angelo picked it up, it was a black envelope signed in familiar, curly silver script.

Evelyn Ashburn

I took the envelope with shaking hands, my heart pounding.

Angelo put a hand on her shoulder. "Eve?" He asked, anxiety in his voice.

"It's...it's from my father."

I felt him stiffen. "How can you be sure?"

"I think I can recognize the Devil's handwriting, Angelo." I snapped at him, regret instantly settling in my stomach as I looked at the hurt expression on his face. "I'm sorry....it's just..."

Angelo nodded in understanding. "Let's go inside."

I numbly walked in and sat on the sofa, staring at the black envelope in my hands, the silver lines that spelled my name taunting me.

Angelo sat beside me, his hand rubbing comforting circles in my back, but it did nothing to calm the nerves broiling in my stomach.

"Do you want me to leave?" Angelo asked, concern filling his voice.

I shook my head, eyes never leaving the envelope. "No, stay, please."

He pressed his lips to my hair and I took a deep breath.

I flipped over the envelope and broke the seal of silver wax, the pentagram symbol pressed into it another indicator of who had sent the letter.

With shaking fingers I unfolded the old fashioned letter. My father loved being dramatic, and this certainly did the trick.

The letter wasn't long, but it was written in the same curled silver script as the front.

My dearest daughter,
I wanted to inform you of my deepest regrets for my actions. I overreacted and hope you can forgive me. In my anger I severed your connection to cross from the mortal world to Hell. This in no way affects your immortality, my dear, it just prevents you from coming home until I fix it. However, fixing such a link requires you to be home. Your siblings have informed me of how the angel affected you and I understand completely. Take all the time you need to recover and when you are ready to rejoin your family, send me a message through the fire and I will come to bring you home.
With all my love,
Papa

I read the letter a few times before the underlying message hit me and I began to laugh. A harsh, humorless laugh that had Angelo worried.

"Eve? What is it?" I looked into his worried green eyes and my laughter turned to hysterical giggles.