Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Okay, I was using the dancing as an excuse to keep Eve close to me. The girl was in serious need of protection. Or maybe she was so sheltered that she didn't know that taking a drink some random sleaze had got for you was a bad idea and could probably get you raped....

Calm down Angel. I scolded myself. She is fine, I got the guy away from her, she won't be hurt on my watch.

But she did drink it. That horrible voice in my head chirped.

I shoved that voice away as I twirled Eve away from me and back again, her angelic white dress flaring out in a circle.

She seems fine. I thought. Not sleepy or whatever the other symptoms of roofies are.

As she spun back to me I thought about her reaction to my calling her an angel.

That was odd. This girl was an angel. Innocent and more pure than any of my sisters. Why would she object to be called one? I wasn't actually serious. If she was a real angel I would know.

Then I remembered the little display of anger earlier at the waiter, Billy.

I smiled at the memory, she was a firey little dragón.

"What are you smirking at?" Her pure sing-song voice asked, filled with amusement.

I looked down to see her amber eyes sparkling, a sweet, blissful smile on her heart shaped face. So happy you would have thought the sun was inside this small clumsy child, it shone out of her face and glowed from her milk chocolate skin.

She giggled, and I realized that I was staring at her. "Angelo what is it?"

I chuckled. "Sorry. I was thinking about something funny but your beautiful face distracted me."

She blushed, sending a shade of roses to bloom under her mocha skin.

The song changed to a slower tune, and Eve sighed. Probably thinking about the last time we slow danced.

I led her as well as I could so that she wouldn't have to do much, every time she started to trip I would lift her up a bit so that she could regain her balance.

Eventually she relaxed, swaying to the music. Leaning her head on my chest.

I knew I shouldn't allow it, but I couldn't bring myself to move her.

"So what was it you were thinking about before?" She asked absentmindedly.

I chuckled. "I was thinking about how you got all mad at Billy. The boy was so scared I think he wet himself."

My girl let out a peal of laughter, audible bubbles of sunshine that soothed my ears better than any chords on a guitar.

"Yes he was terrified." She giggled. "And with good reason. I'm dangerous." She waggled her eyebrows at me and I laughed. Both at the image of her doing that with her eyebrows and at the idea of her being dangerous.

I span her out again and then hugged her close to me. "You could never be dangerous pajarita." I whispered in her ear, my voice coming out rough and deep.

I could feel her heart speed up, fluttering like a bird.

"You don't know that." Her voice was deadly serious, but sad.

I looked down at her, but her face was hidden from me.

"Hmmm." I thought for a moment, still holding her close. "Well, you did attack me the other day. But I was caught off guard and I had no idea you could do that. I could easily take you in a fight, not that I ever would need to. You're so tiny and fragile, I can't imagine ever harming you."