Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I sat near the statue of Michael in the cemetary, leaning against the block base carved with scripture, I was facing the spot where the sun would rise in a few minutes. Awaiting Eve.

I was so excited for the surprise I had planned. It would give me a chance to get to know her more and to show her the wonders of Brazil.

I was a bit worried about her aversion to cars, but I hopped that a couple hours in one would cure her uneasiness. As a human she couldn't survive very long by being afraid of cars.

As I waited I watched the sun peak over the horizon, turning the sky various shades of pink and orange and red, a beautiful sight.

Then something landed on me, a cackling, bony thing that held onto me and forced me to roll to to a headstone.

I looked up from my position on my back to see Eve, my dearest human Eve. She was grinning that devilish smile as she straddled my hips, wearing short kaki shorts, and a black tank top under a slim denim vest, her hair was put back into a long braid that came over her shoulder, laced through with a silver ribbon.

I laughed and tugged at her braid. "I guessed I deserved that for the other day."

She leaned down and tweaked my nose. "Yes you did." Then she jumped off me and sprang to her feet, starting the day quite gracefully.

I got up and took her hand, the warmth of it spreading up my arm.

"You ready to go?" I said.

"Go where?" She asked, grinning, her Amber eyes shining.

I grinned back. "Surprise. Come on!" And I ran out of the cemetary, knowing she would chase after me.

"Angelo!" I heard her voice call, the laugher spilling over into her words as she chased me. "Wait a second!"

I reached the truck I had borrowed for the day and leaned against it, feigning breathlessness.

Eve caught up and as she was trying to slow down she tripped and fell right into my arms.

I chuckled and hugged her tight before releasing her. "I don't think I will ever get tired of that." I said looking at her as she blushed under her cream and chocolate skin.

She blushed redder and looked at her hiking boots. "What? Me falling down? Being clumsy?"

I lifted her chin up to gaze into her beautiful eyes. "Catching you, every time you fall."

I heard her breath catch and her heart rate speed up. That little thrumming fueled my desire to kiss her, but I couldn't. Not here, it had to be perfect.

I stepped away and opened her door. "Milady." I said with a galant bow.

She giggled nervously and got in the car. I got in the driver side and turned her face to me, trailing my fingers down her burning face.

"Don't be afraid, Eve," I said. "I will protect you."

She let out a relaxing breath and nodded a small unsure nod.

It was good enough, I started the car and began to drive. At first the roads were bumpy because of the cobblestone streets, but eventually they evened out to highway road.

I didn't want to spend the whole day in the car, so when I got the car I put a spell on it, using a bit of angel time Magic, we would appear to be moving at a normal time, but really the trip would get us there around noon.

After a few minutes of silence in the car, Eve seemed to relax and I smiled. "Not so bad, huh?"

"No," she said warily. "Not so bad to ride in a snarling metal chariot."