Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I stayed up all night looking for Eve.

The strangest phenomenon. As soon as she left the graveyard and was in the trees I couldn't sense her anymore. It was like she wasn't on earth, but that's impossible. I tried to follow her but again I couldn't find any trace of her.

It was maddening.

My nightmare had come true, as soon as I let her go she disappeared again.

Eve. Her name pounded in my head all night as I searched under cover of my glamour. She wasn't in Rio. She wasn't in Brazil. Heck, as far as I knew, she wasn't even on earth.

But again, that's not possible.

All I could hope for was that she would keep her word and meet me here in the morning.

But when is morning? I thought as I paced back and forth in front of the graveyard. She could come at dawn, after dawn, by heavens gates she could come at 11:00!

So that was how I ended up staying near the graveyard most of the night and a good portion of the dark morning.

Good thing I don't need to sleep. I thought as the sun rose above Rio. Turning the few clouds in the sky orange and pink and purple.

As I watched the sun rise a shadow came out of the woods. A short, lithe shadow with long hair.

I relaxed. Feeling her presence on earth again was reassuring. I walked forward to meet her at the gate of the graveyard.

My girl was wearing a red tank-top over a black bathing suit with little black shorts and a pair of black leather ankle boots, her hair was loose and wavy but pinned back by sparkly little clips in the shapes of hibiscus flowers.

She walked out of the gate and was looking the other way when I came up behind her and put my hands over her eyes. "Guess who?" I said playfully.

Instead of laughing or shrieking like I thought she might she stiffened and grabbed my arms before pivoting and throwing me over her shoulder and onto the ground.

I coughed and sputtered. "¡Ay María! Remind me not to sneak up on you again."

Eve was breathing heavy. "You scared me."

"Yeah I picked that up, but I didn't know you knew karate."

She chuckled and helped me up. "It is a rare thing for me to be frightened, good job."

"Thanks, I guess." I looked at her and smiled. "Hi."

She smiled back. "Hi. So, what should we do today?"

"Hmm, let me think." I said. Then I took her overly warm hand and started walking away from the graveyard and into the quiet cobblestone streets of town. Rio was already awake, the city never sleeps.

"Why don't you tell me about you? All I know about you is your name."

She smiled. "Maybe that's the point Angelo. Maybe you're not supposed to know who I am."

I laughed. "Well, whether I am supposed to know or not, chica, I'm going to find out. I found you, and I will walk through Hell and confront the devil himself before I let you go." I joked. Then mentally cursed myself. Stupid! Why would I say that? Creepy people say that! Idiota! Tonto tonto tonto! I mentally cursed myself in Spanish.

She chuckled, not noticing my slip. "You might have to."

Well that's odd. "What was that?"