Chapter 26

Chapter 26

I stepped out into the edge of the trees surrounding the cemetery of Rio. A place that I had seen Eve walk out of so many times, wondering how she could live nearby.

Well, now I knew.

I sat down on the ground with her on my lap trying to wake her up. "Eve, I need to get you home, how do you get into Hell?" I knew what I was doing would get me killed but I didn't care, Eve had to live.

Eve's Amber eyes fluttered and her dark brows furrowed. "Why would we go home? This never happens in my dreams, we stay here."

I suppressed a growl of frustration. "Well this time I take you home, now how do we get in?"

"Diabolum ducere." Eve muttered and instead of a portal or door like I expected, the world itself ripped and swirled before settling into a great hall of obsidian and a heat blanketed me, stifling the air.

My wings and halo shed their glamour like in heaven, the glamour was useless here.

I stood with Eve in my arms as I heard a thundering coming from all directions. Bouncing off the walls.

I would have readied a weapon but Eve filled my arms and it wouldn't help, I was outnumbered and on enemy grounds.

I couldn't win. I was at the Devil's mercy.

But what came out of the many halls that branched off from the great room was a lot less dramatic.

Three women came running out of one of the halls, "Did you find her?" Called out the first one, running at me. Then the woman saw me and all three skidded to a stop a few yards away.

They were the oddest bunch of women I had ever seen. The lead was about 5'4" with dark African skin, wild red curls, and yellow eyes. On either side of her stood two other peculiar women. A pear shaped woman a few inches taller than her with auburn hair, honey tanned skin, and eyes as green as my own. The third was very short, maybe 4'10" with mocha skin, strait golden hair, and golden eyes. Her body was thin and sharp, her bones jutting out at scary angles.

After they got over the shock of seeing me the small one glared at me and moved forward menacingly, "Who in Hell are you and what have you done to my sister?" The woman opened her hand and a crackling ball of gold electricity manifested in her hand.

"My name is-" I began.

Then three more bodies appeared in the room, large men that I recognized.

Eve's brothers.

"We couldn't find-" The blonde one started to say with his southern accent.

Then the men saw me, holding eve in my arms and reacted in an instant.

I didn't fight them, I let them take Eve from my arms and hold me down.

"What are you doing here?" The dark skinned one on my right growled in my ear.

I kept my eyes down. "She was dying, I needed to bring her home."

"What are you talking about?" Demanded the tall, pale one. "How is she dying?"

"Too much exposure to the cold Cells of Heaven." I said, and several hisses greeted my words. "I don't care what you do to me, just make sure Eve lives." I met the blazing red eyes of the pale brother without hesitation.

"Why do you care what happens to her?" The first woman demanded, her yellow eyes suspicious as she held the hand of Eve who was limp in the arms of the blond brother.

"She is my charge," I said. "I was born to protect her or die trying."

The small, sharp woman barked a laugh. "That's rich, you're her guardian angel?"