Chapter 27

Chapter 27

I woke up in fire.

At first I was confused as I couldn't remember being hurt belly enough to need healing, but then I remembered that cold cell in Heaven and I shuddered.

How did I get back? I wondered.

Then, to my horror, I remembered Angelo. Freeing me, carrying me, the trees of Rio over my head as he asked how to get into Hell.

Oh, no I didn't. Please tell me I didn't.

I totally did.

He was here, in my home, he saved me.

He risked his life for me.

Papa is going to kill him.

I opened my eyes and gasped, sucking in air. My room was empty of people. I sat up and rolled out of the flames, standing on weak legs.

I didn't need people to watch me while I healed, my body would wake me when I was fully healed, as it just did, but I was still weak, I needed rest.

Despite this I started hunting for clothes.

I needed to see him. Somehow stop Papa from killing him.

I was rummaging for pants in my dresser when the door opened. I had already found bra, underwear, and a pale blue button down shirt that fell to my thighs, I had a pair of jeans in my hand but I was caught.

"Evelyn Ashburn, what in Hell are you doing?" Virus demanded, a stern looking Isa and Errol behind her.

"I need to see him." I said, standing up and trying to put on my jeans. "He's here isn't he? Am I too late? Did Papa already-?"

"Hush and calm down missy," Errol said as he shouldered his way through my sisters to take hold of my shoulders. "He's fine. We told Papa you would want to...deal with him yourself. So he's in one of the cells. No harm will come to him until you say so. Which means..." Errol scooped me up and dumped me on my bed, tossing my pants on the floor. "That you have plenty of time to rest, and regain your strength."

"But..." I rung my hands together. "I want to talk to him."

Isa smiled at me, coming into the room. "We figured you would, that's why I cooked up this plan. It took some convincing for everyone else. Glacien was the hardest."

Fear clenched at my heart with icy fingers. "You told Galcien?" My voice came out small.

Virus's eyes softened, "It's okay, baby. We all made her swear on her soul not to breathe a word to Papa."

In any other circumstance, with any other person, I would have been horrified. But these words calmed me.

Because it was Angelo.

"So he's here? Alive? A-Angelo is here?" My brain was having a hard time processing it.

Isa sighed at the look on my face. "Let her go, Errol. She won't rest until she sees him."

Errol met my eyes, his tan arms crossed over his chest. He rolled his red eyes and looked at Virus. "Your call, V."

Virus scowled. "Fine, but make it quick."

I left out of bed and kissed my sister on both cheeks before dashing for the door.

"Hold her horses, Darlin'" Errol said, catching my arm. He handed me my pants and I yanked them on then kissed Errol on the cheek.

"Thank you." I said to them all.

I only caught their smiles before I was sprinting down the hall barefoot, tucking my shirt into my pants as I ran.