Chapter 29

Chapter 29

I did not enjoy one bit of Eve's plan. I loved her with all my being but dragging me in front of Satan and asking for a full pardon was bordering on insane.

Of course I didn't dare say this to her as she pulled me out of the cell. I'd never seen her anger, but as the Princess of Fire I doubted I wanted to.

Eve held onto my hand, bouncing excitedly as she tugged me toward the entrance to the cell block.

Before we crossed the line two large shapes blocked the way.

"What are you doing bella fiamma?" The tall one asked in a bored voice, I remembered his name to be Edmund.

"I'm taking him to Papa." Eve said sternly, her Amber eyes hard.

The darker one, Erik, pouted. "But dragon that's no fun! Having us kill him would be way more entertaining, Papa will just-"

Quicker than I thought possible, Eve had let go of my hand, flipped and kicked her brother full in the chest, knocking him to the floor.

Eve crouched over Erik with glowing red eyes and a hand full of fire. "Threaten Angelo again and you will be in a regeneration chamber before you can say 'ouch' do you understand?"

Erik nodded and Eve straightened then walked back to me.

"I'm letting him go." Eve said, looking at me with soft Amber eyes.

"What?" Edmund demanded. "Eve, you can't be serious. Papa will never let him go, you know that!"

"He will if I threaten to leave." Eve's voice was calm and cold.

The brothers were still for a long moment. "You wouldn't." Edmund growled.

Eve's eyes flashed red, "Try me."

Erik got up off the ground, "Eve, don't leave us. Please? Think of Errol!"

"Think of Errol what?" A southern voice rounded the corner, and the blonde brother, Errol, came into view, sporting a cowboy hat and boots to match his accent. "Y'all better not be bitching about me behind my back." He caught sight of me and instead of glaring he broke into a big grin. "Oh, yay!" The big man grabbed me and nearly crushed me in a hug. "I'm so glad I got to meet you before you died!" Errol gushed, his red eyes excited.

Eve growled. "He's not going to die, Errol."

Errol looked at her for a moment then smirked. "What's yer plan, cowgirl?"

"I'm going to talk to Papa." Eve said. "If he doesn't like it then I'll leave."

Erik hugged her tight, his face close to tears. "Don't leave Eve, please!"

Eve held the face of her brother, her hands dwarfed in comparison. "I will always be with you guys. And if Papa lets me, then I can still come back. The only thing that would keep me away was if you three hated me for my choice." She backed up and took my hand, looking up into my eyes. "I love him."

"Who will protect you?" Edmund demanded softly, his eyes misty.

I chose this time to speak. "Eve is my charge. The only point to my existence is to protect her or die trying."

Edmund scrutinized me through narrowed eyes. "Then you would swear an oath?"

"Yes...what kind of oath?"

Errol grinned. "When Eve was the equivalent of sixteen, we had a large ceremony where we swore to protect her."

"If you took this oath we could feel sure that our sister was safe with you." Erik said.