October 13th 2014

We all sit around, in the middle of the day, silently. I felt sleep deprived, and I bet everyone else did too. This was the first time we hadn't gone to sleep at 7am. It is now 1pm, way past our bedtime. We tried to sleep but Bennett kept us up with her crying, but none of us minded. She deserved to cry. Parker had explained fully what happened last night a few hours ago:

"Beau was going to put Nolan to rest, but I remembered the vow we made - never kill the living. Nolan was still living so we couldn't kill him. I suggested we bent the rules for him but Bennett insisted we let him die and turn before killing him. We couldn't fight her seeing as any way we did it he was going to die. She was his partner so she decided what happened to him. We were planning on getting everyone out and letting him turn, then bringing him out and killing him on the road. You disappeared and we just assumed you went outside to comfort Grey, but when we joined him on the roof he told us you weren't there - then we realised. We got off the roof and saw you kicking at the window crying, screaming of help, but the door was jammed. We unlocked it but it still wouldn't open. Willow was at the front windscreen, telling us what was happening. We thought you would have a weapon so you'd be fine for now, but then she yelled that you had nothing in your hand. She started screaming when she saw him drop onto you. That's when Grey and I were able to break in and get him off you."

It made sense, if I was Bennett I probably wouldn't want to kill him alive. We sat quietly, staring at the floor while Nikki drove. Grey and I sat apart, pretending we weren't back together. Zara had her arm around a pale Bennett who was silently sobbing.

"We lost a man last night. A bloody good one. It's not often you would find one like Nolan, especially at times like this. He was kind, brave, smart, and he finally tamed Bennett." Beau said making a few chuckle, "But his death only reminded me of how unexperienced we are. We left suburban life to gain skills, learn new things, and in the last 2 weeks we have managed to do nothing but loose an excellent tracker, one of whom was useful. The only person allowed to be gloomy and sad now is Bennett. The rest of you should be ready to fight, ready to make a difference. Us sitting around doing nothing helps no one including yourself. We need to be out, not practising shooting using bottles, but actually killing Lurkers. We may not make a dint in the infected population but at least us as a group knows we are trying to stop it. At least know we are doing something for good." He finished.

"I agree completely." I mumbled. "Last night was a close call, not only for me but for everyone. The fact that we couldn't stop one Lurker scares me. I couldn't even stop Nolan."

"So what are you saying? We just throw ourselves into a pit of Lurkers? I came to this group for safety, not suicide missions." Abby said.

"Then leave." I suggested smiling at her. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, which was right next to Grey across from me. "You won't be missed, well by me at least."

"Alex." Willow scowled, "we won't necessarily throw ourselves into a heard, or go in search for them, but we won't run scared or cry every time we see one."

"If we lose members we will at least know they died trying, and its better trying then doing nothing. We don't live in a 'succeed or fail it doesn't matter as long as we have fun' world anymore. Sticks and stones may break your bones, but failure will get you killed." He said. I nodded, agreeing with him.

"I don't want to get ripped apart." Zara said.

"You won't. As long as we get experience." I said.

"I don't feel like dying today, or tomorrow, or even in a year - because you want me to get experience." Lincoln snapped.

"It's not a choice." Grey said staring at him. "It's an order."

"I don't take orders from anyone." Lincoln said standing. Grey stood too; him being a bit taller than him.

"I can see." Grey replied harshly stepping closer to Lincoln.

"I swear to god if you touch me." Lincoln said.

"I'm not going to touch you," Grey teased, "Just like Alex is never - ever - going to touch you." My mouth fell open.

"Shut the fu-"

"Hey!" Parker said standing between them. Parker was about half way between Lincoln and Grey's height. "Sit the hell down and shut up. Both of you."

"From now on, you looking behind you wherever you walk, cause one day you'll end up with a bullet in your back." Grey said sitting down. "If you go near her, I'm going to send you to a dark place and I'm going to enjoy it."

"Just like I'll enjoy snapping your neck while you sleep tonight." Lincoln replied with. Everyone was silent. I looked at the ground, unable to think of words to say. I looked up at Willow, who was staring at me, her mouth open a little bit.

"If any of you two try anything on each other, you're going to receive a bullet in your head. Understand?" Beau said. Grey just stared at Lincoln, who stared right back. "We don't kill the living - but if any of you break that rule I am going to break it too."

"Bedtime guys. Catch up on your sleep." Parker said awkwardly. Grey was first to break the staring contest between him and Lincoln, watching me stand and walk towards the ladder that had been left down.