July 31st 2014

Now I'm what they call a 'Lone Ranger'. Turns out my parents didn't return from work that day, nor any other day. I don't like to think about what happened to them. I couldn't make contact with my brother in the town 3 hours across, but I hope he is fine. I stayed up in my room for a while, hoping and pleading the 'homeless man' had left. For a grand total of 4 days watching him I realised he wasn't homeless. It was when the neighbours dog came into my yard, probably looking for food. Turns out he was food. Every last piece of him.

My dad - being the secret redneck he is, made me keep a loaded rifle in my closet. I grabbed it and opened the window, leaning out and shooting the man, hoping that would make him stop eating Arby - the neighbours dog. It made him stop, but it didn't kill him, it just made him turn his attention to me, and getting to me. I guess he didn't know I was up there. He clawed at the pipe that led me up to the window. I leaned further out of the window and aimed again, except accidentally hitting his head instead of the shoulder at which I aimed for. He fell backwards and landed on his back. He didn't move, but his eyes were still open. I took this opportunity to run while he was down. I grabbed a duffle bag and shoved clothes in it, as well as my prized possessions and girl stuff. I ran downstairs and looked through the peephole of the front door. I couldn't see him, or anyone else. I opened the door, but quickly closed it again.

"The police said to stay inside." I said to myself. I leaned up against the door, holding tears in. Where were my parents? Where were the police? Why is that man like that? Why did he eat the dog? I kept remembering his pearly white eyes and his blood stained mouth and cheeks. I opened the door and stepped out locking it behind me. I ran down my front pathway and got to the gate, swinging it open and running out, not even stopping to look back.

+++

That is the story of how I got here. 815 miles away from my original town, alone, killing Walkers off, one by one. I still don't know anything about them, why they are the way they are. I know they are the dead come back to life, and that a single shot to the head is enough to kill them. That is all. I don't know whether I would actually like to know more, having in mind my parents and brother have a 99.9% chance of them being one.

I currently am hiding out in an abandoned house, windows covered by blankets so no light gets out. I sit in front of the fireplace, holding my 2 minute noodles close to my chest. The fire was my only source of warmth and light. The power had run out about 4 days ago, 5 days after the Walkers took over. I don't know how many people survived, but I do know most of the living will be around my age, seeing as it happened while we were in school, and no one at school out broke. I've seen 1 person since D - day and they were on the verge of dying. They had a massive bite out of them and I think they were bleeding out.

My eyes start to droop and the noodles start to slide out of my hand, but before I can fully go to sleep I hear a bang then a car alarm starts to go off. My eyes flick open and I stand, dropping the noodles to the ground. The alarm is very loud, loud enough to draw hundreds in. I run over to the door and check all the locks, before grabbing the bucket of water I saved to drink and pouring it on the fire. The light goes out and I stand in the dark, the only sound is the car alarm. I press my back up against the wall and slide down into seating position.

"It will turn off soon." I whisper to myself. I hug myself as I watch a silhouette walk past the window with thin blankets covering it. They reach the front door and I close my eyes. Ignore them. Instead of a slow banging, I'm surprised to hear a quick knock. I open my eyes and look at the door.

"Let me in! Please!" I hear a woman's voice say. I have an urge to get up and let her in, but by now there would be too many Walkers around to risk it. "Please! There is too many!" She says banging on the door. "I saw your light go out! I know you are in there!" She called. I covered my ears with my hands. Ignore them. "You'll leave a human being to die!" She shouted, then I heard a loud scream. I hummed so I couldn't hear the heavy banging up against the door. The screaming died down, then stopped all together. I hoped she had gotten away. I try not to think about what would've happened if she didn't get away, like her blood being on the front stoop. I began to shiver as the cold began to get to my bones and warmth began to leave me. I sat in the dark, not being able to see my hand a couple centimetres from my face.

+++

I awake to broad day light, unaware that I had fallen asleep. I stood, stepping on the noodles I dropped last night. I walk over to the door, scared to look through the peephole. I close my eyes and lean my head in, so when I opened them I'd be looking outside. I peeped through the hole and allowed myself to breathe. I moved away and unlocked all the bolts, then swung open the door. There was no blood, no body pieces, no Walkers. She might've gotten away. I close the door and lock it again.

I need to leave this house. I've been here to long. I think to myself. If you stay in the same spot too long they start to realise, I don't know how, but they do. I walk over and grab my duffle bag and rifle. I write the same note I do at all the houses I stay out just incase.

Dear note receiver,

My name is Alexandra Leopoldo I am 16 years of age and I used to live in West Virgina. My parents names are Natasha and Anthony Leopoldo, and we are American/Latin. My father being on the Latino side. My brother, Luis Leopoldo, has black hair and close to black eyes. If you have seen any of these people, or your with them, please, please try and find me, I need to know whether they are okay.

Alexandra (Other known to them by Alexa or Alex)

I leave it on top of the fireplace, hoping and praying someone with answers sees it. I swing the bag over my shoulder and walk back to the door, taking a minute to unlock it and opening it, stepping out and closing it behind me.