Dirty Deed

"Why are you covered in blood?" Zorra asked as I washed my hand in the sink, using a scrubbing tool Anne rigged up for me.

"Why aren't you?" I asked.

"I was just—"

"Curiosity killed the cat. I know ya ain't a cat, but the same applies for people. What's my business is my business and what isn't is not. I suggest ya pick up the same ideas and roll with it if ya want my help." Zorra didn't respond. Once my hand and stump was clean, I dried them off and walked back over to my desk and sat down. "So, New Haven— the name doesn't match, does it?"

"No, ma'am." Zorra nervously shook her head.

"Well, don't worry because everythin' is gonna change real soon." I gave her a reassuring smile. "I need details."

"Like what?"

"Interior, exterior, security, what color 'er underwear is; details, woman!"

"Security is around the clock."

"Not somethin' I haven't dealt with before—"

"No, you don't understand. Multiple people at multiple guard posts, a walking patrol around the perimeter and in the woods, no one gets in or near New Haven without her knowledge."

"Is that what happened to my friends?"

"They were picked up a mile out."

"A mile?" My eyes widened with surprise. "So, how do we get past 'em?"

"You don't, not without an escort, at least."

"And my escort bein' you, I presume?"

"Look, I know it looks sketchy—"

"Because it is."

"If you want in, you need someone to let you in. Even if you could manage to sneak past the patrols, you wouldn't be able to get through the wall or door; it can only be opened from the inside."

"Wow." I tittered. "Are ya gonna tell me y'all got a moat, too?"

"This isn't a joke! Your people are in danger, my people are too scared to run or fight, and you're treating this like it's a Monty Python episode!"

"Dude, calm your tits." I smiled. "It just so happens that I'm impressed with your security measures. Anyone on the inside know ya came here?"

     "No."

     "Ya sure?"

     "Yes, they think I went hunting. I'm one of the main hunters, otherwise I'm security."

     "Well, when I get in, if I'm gonna kill 'er, I gotta be sure that I'll be able to bring in a weapon. I mean, I could club er' to death with my stump, but it's still tender, so I'd rather not."

     "I can take care of that." Zorra gave me a reassuring nod.

     "And of course we need to discuss payment."

     "You're getting your people back, shouldn't that be payment enough?"

     "Not quite. See, like I said before, we're lookin' for trade, but we also like to have numbers."

     "Numbers?"

     "Negan wasn't the only Big Bad Wolf our there, and he won't be the last. And, let's face it, havin' ties with military personnel and those trained by 'em is somethin' I can't turn a blind eye on. If I do this, I wanna form trade, but I also wanna know that you can scratch our backs if we scratch yours." Zorra thought for a moment before averting her eyes to the floor.